From Your Grave Review

The Absence: From Your Grave
Release Date: Sep 6, 2005
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Metal
Smart arrangements, furious riffs and attention to writing actual songs with masterful instrumentation, set The Absence apart from many of today's younger acts.
 9.4
 9.8
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
From Your Grave Reviewed by: Scourge441, on january 16, 2006

Sound: The Absence play melodic death metal with a more thrashy sound than some other bands do. There is a clear influence from bands like At The Gates and Arch Enemy. These guys formed to play straight-up metal; there's nothing really innovative, but in this case, that's not nescesarily a bad thing. Any fans of melodic death should check these guys out. // 8

Lyrics: "The wreckage to plagues we sing of/on the breath of harmony/submersed, forgotten, and singing in suffering/while I stand behind these shimmering tired eyes/watching your faithless stride/deep into hell" - that was from the song Seven Demons, and shows how The Absence's lyrics can be very poetic. Most of the time they are pretty straightfoward, but still incredible. Jamie Stewart's vocals fit extremely well with the music. His growls are relatively high-pitched compared to some other bands; a good thing, since extremely low growls (think Nile) would sound wrong with The Absence. // 9

Overall Impression: From Your Grave has no bad songs; this is an album you can listen to all the way through without skipping any songs. Seven Demons is a personal favorite, and the instrumental Shattered is impressive, but I always find myself listening to the whole album, not just one or two songs. There aren't really any songs that stand out, but the band still was able to keep the album from becoming monotonous. Is this just because the album is incredible? I won't go that far, but you can decide for yourself. Since I bought this album from iTunes, I don't have to worry about it getting stolen. If I had a real copy, though, I would definetly buy this again. // 10

Comments