Wormwood review by The Acacia Strain

• Released: Jul 20, 2010
The Acacia Strain: Wormwood

This is by far the heaviest sound out there. On this album, the guitarist uses an 8-String ESP Guitar. This allows for the most heavy, brutal riffs and breakdowns possible. The drums can be described in one word. Pounding. The mix of the heavy down-tuned guitar with the thumping drums makes for a sound that is comparable to no other. In terms of bass guitar, there is not much to be said. The bass is super low, and ties the whole thing together. Don't expect technicality from The Acacia Strain, the sound is slow and heavy. But that's exactly what they want. It is the lowest, heaviest, and most heart-pounding CD out right now. The whole thing sounds like what I imagine hell would sound like. Chugging and open power chords run rampant on this record, and as much as I would like to hear a little different styling on this album, it fits. They have put together a unique sound for this CD, and have established themselves as a unique artist. The only real problem I have is that there is a lack of variety in the music itself. Most songs flow together just a little too well.

This is not for the faint of heart. If you hate the world and all the people in it, welcome to your new favorite CD. The lyrics are personal and hateful. Vincent really put his heart into this one. With such lines as "I hate everything you love" and "Your blood will blanket the Earth" you can really feel his hate for people in general. I've never heard a better combination of music and lyrics. The music sounds brutal, the lyrics are brutal. This is not heavy music about girlfriends and heartache, this is heavy music about hate. Just the way I love it. The only problem I have is the lack of variety in Vincent's voice. I love his voice, but for once I'd like to hear some high screams. Not a lot, but just a little. Jimmy Jasta (Hatebreed) provides guest vocals on the tracks Beast and Nightman, and that is a nice touch.

The Acacia Strain to me has a sound of their own, and cannot really be compared to any other band. My favorite songs from this CD are Beast, The Hills Have Eyes, Jonestown, and Tactical Nuke. (Essentially a 6 minute breakdown) I love the hate on this album and the new sound. I don't really hate anything here. I don't LOVE the lack of variety in the vocal sound and instruments, but it is a little annoying. If this CD was stolen from me, I'd go out and buy two more copies. Overall, great CD.

MESHNothing
    I love the people bagging on 8 strings all for the same reason, lower tuning sucks and this isnt technical blah blah blah. Yet, no one has thought that extended range guitars are just more comfortable for some people. Personally, I have bigger hands and i can play alot more material on extended range guitars (7 & 8) than i can on a six string. Not a skill level thing, its just all about comfortable and i think that an 8 string is the most comfortable thing for someone my size
    TES_Vocalist
    Vince Bennet would punch the writer of this article in the face for classifying them as Deathcore. The album seemed like a continuation of Continent in my opinion.
    J-rich777
    I'm seeing them tonight and personally I'm going to punch small children. I ****ing love TAS!!!!! And theres no comparing the acacia strain to DT DT= fail.
    g27dude
    TragedyGuide wrote: all i'm saying is that there's no way anything this band ever does is worth a 9 out of 10. 10 is perfect. the beatles are perfect. you're telling me the sound and impression of this album is only a point off of sgt. pepper's? and the lyrics are only 2 points off? come on people.
    Did you not read what the other guy just said? How the **** can you compare the Beatles to TAS they're not related at all. So if you like the Beatles so much go listen to them and stop whining about an album that you don't like. You're wasting your time. I'm tired of everyone thinking that they have better taste im music than others. It's all opinion. Everyone has their own
    Loki_37
    EpiExplorer wrote: 8 strings do not make it technical. STOP TRYING SO HARD. Also, the D word has been mentioned, so no thankyou. Its still boring chugchug continuous breakdown spazzy teenage dance music.
    How the hell do you dance to this?
    breakdownkid784
    I'll actually talk about the album instead of arguing everything with random posts.... I like to focus on the actual sound of records (mixing and mastering) which is where Wormwood absolutely soars. It is so heavy and hits hard, the 8 strings definitely help here. Now yes the sound gets a little repetitive but the album is still listenable multiple times. It doesnt have the uniqueness of Continent for sure, but it's better than the Dead Walk, cuz that album sounds terrible, the guitars and drums are so weak, it turns me off to listen to. The lyrics are of course, brutal and hatefull as ever, which keeps the songs going, cuz you can actually understand Vince. Anyway, check it out, its something you can mosh to and simultaneously tear somebody apart limb by limb.
    Slayer127
    Jesus someone taught these kids that you cant be a good guitarist and play two strings. No, you can still be a good guitarist, and write catchy, well written riffs. I personally like this album more then anything white chapel has put out. It has a simple angry atmosphere that I haven't found on many albums. MAYBE being technical doesn't make you a better/worse guitarist then someone who is? Just a concept.