Almost Here Review

The Academy Is...: Almost Here
Release Date: Feb 8, 2005
Label: Fueled By Ramen
Genres: Emo, Punk-Pop
The band's slick pop yen is impressive enough throughout Almost Here to make it a strong debut.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.2
 9.9
 8.4
Almost Here Reviewed by: :TheAcademyIs:, on october 24, 2005

Sound: The sound is very light, its very easy to listen to. The lead singer's voice is amazing. The style is just your typical indie-pop punk kind of music: but it's far from average. Sometimes the sound is very happy and upbeat and then its very driven and emotional. What impressed me is the "vocal distorter" that the singer uses in a few songs. // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics was of course a positive one. I just love how this band doesnt care about the media or the press; they just wanna play. Since they began with their EP, their main focus in their lyrics is just pure feeling. This show's so brightly in this album. The singer's skills are so unbelievable. They'll blow anyone away. // 10

Overall Impression: The Academy Is probably compares the most to Fall Out Boy or Motion City Soundtrack. When it comes down to which songs are most impressive; I cant really decide. Mostly because the entire CD is imressive. I love how each song responds with the next one or the previous song. If this CD was stolen or lost of course I'd buy it again. // 10

Almost Here Reviewed by: shugo449, on october 24, 2006

Sound: On The Academy Is' first CD, Almost Here, they give a solid effort, giving us a CD filled with ten great tracks. Their sound is kind of like some sort of thing like Chuck Berry meets Fall Out Boy. That sound especially hits me on the track "The Phrase That Pays". The verses have a real weird sound ad then get real punk, but then the chorus sounds real classic rock because of a shuffle like strumming pattern. A lot of the songs sound like these, especially "Slow Down", "Checkmarks", and "The Phrase That Pays". // 10

Lyrics: My first impression of the lyrics on Almost Here was "Oh, it's all emo like everything else. All emotional." But, I was wrong the emotions coming from singer, William Bennet, are full of feeling and understanding. Not "I hate me! Slit my wrists slit my wrists slit my wrists!" it's more like: "What a wonderdul day. I love you and life!" The way it should be. // 9

Overall Impression: Almost Here, The Academy Is' first full length CD, has ten great songs. If I lost this or lent it to a friend and they lost it, I would definetly by another. My Favorite tracks are "Slow Down", "The Phrase That Pays", "Black Mamba", "Checkmarks" and "Down and Out". Great CD. Get it now. // 10

Comments