Santi review by The Academy Is...

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
The Academy Is...: Santi

On TAI's new album "Santi" the band definetly ventures into new territory. The sound is a lot different from their debut album "Almost Here." Although it's different, the band still manages to deliver catchy hooks and riffs throughout the album. Michael Carden and Michael Guy Chislett are an awesome guitar duo; one guitarist always compliments the other in order to produce one sound, it doesn't seem like too much guitar, which is good. I must admit "Santi" seems "overproduced" in a way, the producer Butch Walker seems to add unnecessary instruments such as violin or piano in some songs. The album has it's moments and it's flaws, but overall TAI puts out another solid album, lets just hope that they go back to their original roots for the third album. Tracks to listen to: "Same Blood," "We've Got A Big Mess On Our Hands," and "Seed."

If there's one thing that makes this album ten times better, it's William Beckett amazing singing talent. This time around, Beckett really takes new turns in his voice, giving each song an extra push just to make them that much better. On the opening track "Same Blood" Beckett goes high and low throughout his verse, finally delivering an mellow but powerful chorus. What's also great about his singing, is what he actually sings about. Beckett continues to speak about real issues in his life, and how he's dealing with them. At times, it seems as though he's addressing the listener, as in the song Lifetime: "It's been a lifetime, a lifetime we waited for. A simple question, kid, 'Are you with me or not at all?'" If you buy the album, the album sleeve has all of Beckett's lyrics, it's real surprising to see the things he writes about. The lyrics really compliment each song, making the album flow more smoothly and better. Just like "Almost Here," "Santi" is another great example of Beckett's great vocal and writing skills.

Overall, I'd have to admit that "Almost Here" was a better album, but that doesn't mean I'm saying "Santi" is any good. I believe that with time and a more thorough listening to "Santi" you can really appreciate what TAI is doing. The guitarists, bassist, and drummer are all talented musicians that bring a great sound, and with Beckett it all comes together beautifully. The best track I believe would be "Same Blood," but there are others equally good in comparison. I did buy the Special Edition CD which was exclusively released only in Target, but if someone stole it, I'd probably just burn it instead of going back to buy it. The CD is good enough for one legal purchase only. The only thing I regret about TAI is that they are on the same label as Fall Out Boy and Gym Class Heroes, those bands don't even come close to the talent of TAI, it's really a shame how the music industry works.

usedxcara
    i actually love santi. it isnt as pop as almost here. its still good, and personally i think its better and i've been a fan of theirs since they first came out.
    theacademyaint
    I must admit "Santi" seems "overproduced" in a way
    it's odd that you'd say that because they did only one-three takes for each song because they didnt want it to seem overproduced. Almost Here was overproduced (obviously) but its still a great cd. that's why they only did a couple takes of each song is because they wanted it to sound more raw and live
    xTheJoeex
    i do not like this. SANTI, isnt what i expected... theres only two or three songs i like...