Santi review by The Academy Is...

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
The Academy Is...: Santi

I've been a fan of The Academy Is... For quite some time now I only really took notice of them when "Almost Here" came out. Over the years the band have proved how their sound be developed, thrown around, mixed up etc. Whatever! Either way, they sound like they're experimenting all the time which is a good thing I think! I bought this CD when I was camping with my family, I was bored of the collection of Foo Fighters, Nickelback and Alter Bridge in my Dad's car so we went to a local CD shop and I picked this up! Like everyone's said it's definately a different sound from their previous debut. A lot of people weren't all that pleased as I understand that people enjoyed "Almost Here" a lot more. Personally, I think "Santi" is merely a development from the previous sound of "Almost Here". It's a lot more what people like to call a "mature" sound; it was almost verging on Rock and Indie rather than Rock/Pop/Indie/Emo or whatever which I thought was a bit better. When it comes to instruments, I'd say the guitarist had a lot more fun in this album; there seems to be a lot more riffing on the guitars and melody parts that acompany William Beckett's great vocals.

Lyrically it's equally as affective as the previous album. There's not too much a catch, just some musicians talking about their lifestye with the acception of "Everything We Had" which plays as that song that a lot of bands might have based about love. I don't get the whole concept, but sounds like the idea of a break up and someone moving on in life, but I supposed this could be in relation with more than just a breakup if you think about it! It's a graet song, a nice little tune, there wasn't a song like this included in the previous which is great because it reinforces that idea of deveopment and progression I suppose! William's is as always brilliant; it seems that he has explored more of his vocal range with the song "You Might Noticed" as good evidence!

In my opinion I like this sound and I think it's a good progression from the also very good sound of "Almost Here". Some great songs?: 01. Same Blood - This is a great introducing track for the album; it's almost a song that shows what the band are all about in this album. This song made me feel comfortable about listening through the album! 02. LAX' To O'Hare - This is probably my favourite song off the album, it's a shame it wasn't a single really. This is a perfect example of that riffing and fun guitar parts I mentioned. It's raw and it's got a great almost funky, fast paced chorus and a great main riff! 03. We've Got A Big Mess On Our Hands - This was the first single to be released from the album and has a great sing a long chorus. It still includes one of TAI's trademarks which is the simple verse to observe some nice vocal part from William Beckett before the big sing a long chorus! 06. Bulls In Brooklyn - This one of the many highlights of the album, it has a sort of Jazz feel witht the whole finger snaps and the tatty piano part in the instrumental section! 07. Neighbours - "Oh wait, they've not COMPLETELY changed!" This is one of the songs that acts almost as a reminder of the traditional sound of "Almost Here" I think this was the second single to come out, great song real catchy! 11. Unexpected Places - This song WAS unexpected, especially the guitar part in the chorus which is almost like a trademark of bands much like The Killers. It's definately a different way to finish off an album and I quite like it! Let's hope you will too! I love the general sound of the album it's almost Rock n' Roll vibed and I think it's a healthy development from their debut.