The Darkest Red review by The Agony Scene

• Released: May 24, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
The Agony Scene: The Darkest Red

I remember hearing of this band through a friend and the song "Scapegoat". That song is still my favorite on the album. Soon after, the video for "Prey" came out and I loved it, also. After searching and searching, I located the album and bought it. The problem with this CD is that the 2 songs I heard were by far the best on the album, and "As Screams Turn To Silence" is the only other song that holds any interest for me. These 3 songs were great, and had this album been a 3 song EP, I'd have given it 5 stars. Every other song is just boring. The songs all sound the same for the most part, there's no way I could listen all the way through this album.

The lyrics, I thought were alright. Typical metal lyrics, dark themes, death, etc. Nothing groundbreaking, but the vocalist got his point across through them, and they fit the music quite well. The singer, I like more than the rest of the band. His high pitched screams are very different from the typical metalcore vocals, and he can sing pretty well, too.

Overall, this isn't a favorite metal album of mine by any means. I actually hadn't listened to it for quite some time when I gave it a spin last night. The 3 standout tracks, as I said earlier are "Scapegoat", "Prey", and "As Screams Turn To Silence". The rest of the album is worth about a quarter, just boring music, and pretty much just the same song played 9 times with a few variations. If this album were stolen/lost I probably wouldn't care much. I think I might just burn the 3 good songs onto a CDR and sell the actual CD soon.