The Darkest Red review by The Agony Scene

• Released: May 24, 2005
The Agony Scene: The Darkest Red

This album takes a different direction than their debut album. If your familiar with "The Agony Scene," You'll remember the cover, "Paint it Black." Well, This whole CD seems to follow that outline. Instead of straight out screaming, Michael Williams decides to sing the choruses. Now normally when a band goes from screaming to singing, they suck balls. This isn't one of those cases. He has a heavy voice that you can hear over the guitar and drums very well. The production quality is FAR superior to the last album.

01. Prelude - no actual lyrics, but is a build up to The Darkest Red. 02. The Darkest Red - Michael's vocals are very heavy, a very different sound that the previous album. Love it. 03. Scars Of Your Disease - he uses his vocals in a more Scream/Sing that just one or another. I think the lyrics are about being an accident child. 04. Screams Turn To Silence - one of my favorite tracks. The vocals are about war. More particularly being bombed. The impression given is basically about how a building gets bombed and collapses on someone, and they scream for help, but they're dying, so eventually the screams turn to silence. 05. Sacrifice - this is the "angry" song on the album, starts out quick, kind of repetitive in my opinion. Mostly Screaming by Michael. 06. Prey - the single of the album. Starts out really heavy, the moshing track in my opinion. Michael's vocals are more poppy in this one. Lot's of screaming, and the chorus is singing. 07. Procession - his vocals do agree with the track on this, you can really get into his singing on the track. The chorus kicks absolute ass also. 08. Suffer - the other moshing track. It's incredibally heavy, and reminds you of his writing style of the first CD. 09. My Dark Desire - this song pumps you up, his vocals sing about a forbidden love. His lyrics kick ass on this track. 10. Scapegoat - quite possibly the best track on the album. His lyrics really pump you up, giving you the feeling like you want to just mosh. If you were to download a song, I'd say download this one first. His lyrics are insanely powerful. 11. Forever Abandoned - the second best song in my opinion. His vocal placement in this song fits it perfectly, and it's kinda a sad song if you think about it. He's an excellent writer.

When I first got into The Agony Scene, they had just released their debut album. I never got into it that much. I then heard Scapegoat off their new album, and Prey. When I heard these songs, I said to myself, "I have to either steal this CD from the store, or buy it immediately." I was very impressed with the production quality of this CD. I love how powerful the singing is, and how powerful the guitar, drums, and bass fit in with eachother. The only thing I don't particularly like is that some of the tracks, like Sacrifice, is kind of repetitive.

COREYTAYLOR721
    one of my favorites, favorite song is suffer. this singer is brutal and the lyrics are phenomenal.