The Darkest Red Review

Released: May 24, 2005
Label: Roadrunner
Genre: Rock
Styles: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
Fast paced, brutal, and packed even with several breakdowns so that even hardcore kids can enjoy it.
 8.4
 8.2
 8.6
The Darkest Red Reviewed by: ANGERisaGIFT, on june 21, 2005

Sound: Sound on this album is incredible, terrific mixing job on the whole thing. These guys have improved a lot since their debut, and it shows heavily on this CD. The vocals are excellent, the bass and guitar tone is perfect, the drumming is unreal. // 10

Lyrics: On this album Mike (the singer) really broadens his vocal range. Not only screaming and growling, there is some excellent melodic singing going on here. The lyrics are incredible as well, always sticking in your head. The vocals are never overshadowed in the mix, nor do they ever overshadow anything else. I can't wait to see these guys live. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to their previous album, it blows it away. This album is most likely going to be overshadowed by the other releases of 2005 (System Of A Down, Avenged Sevenfold, Dream Theatre), but this is one that any metalhead should add to their collection. Some of the best songs are "Screams Turn To Silence," "Scapegoat" and "Prey." I cannot for the life of me find something about this CD that I don't like. If it were lost or stolen, I'd commend the theif on their tastes and then do what the music compels you to do. Whether you are into hardcore, death metal, metalcore, emo, heavy polka, or anything else I'm sure you'll find something you like on this CD. 5 out of 5 straight through. // 10

The Darkest Red Reviewed by: AeroZeppelin09, on august 31, 2007

Sound: This album takes a different direction than their debut album. If your familiar with "The Agony Scene," You'll remember the cover, "Paint it Black." Well, This whole CD seems to follow that outline. Instead of straight out screaming, Michael Williams decides to sing the choruses. Now normally when a band goes from screaming to singing, they suck balls. This isn't one of those cases. He has a heavy voice that you can hear over the guitar and drums very well. The production quality is FAR superior to the last album. // 9

Lyrics: 01. Prelude - no actual lyrics, but is a build up to The Darkest Red. 02. The Darkest Red - Michael's vocals are very heavy, a very different sound that the previous album. Love it. 03. Scars Of Your Disease - he uses his vocals in a more Scream/Sing that just one or another. I think the lyrics are about being an accident child. 04. Screams Turn To Silence - one of my favorite tracks. The vocals are about war. More particularly being bombed. The impression given is basically about how a building gets bombed and collapses on someone, and they scream for help, but they're dying, so eventually the screams turn to silence. 05. Sacrifice - this is the "angry" song on the album, starts out quick, kind of repetitive in my opinion. Mostly Screaming by Michael. 06. Prey - the single of the album. Starts out really heavy, the moshing track in my opinion. Michael's vocals are more poppy in this one. Lot's of screaming, and the chorus is singing. 07. Procession - his vocals do agree with the track on this, you can really get into his singing on the track. The chorus kicks absolute ass also. 08. Suffer - the other moshing track. It's incredibally heavy, and reminds you of his writing style of the first CD. 09. My Dark Desire - this song pumps you up, his vocals sing about a forbidden love. His lyrics kick ass on this track. 10. Scapegoat - quite possibly the best track on the album. His lyrics really pump you up, giving you the feeling like you want to just mosh. If you were to download a song, I'd say download this one first. His lyrics are insanely powerful. 11. Forever Abandoned - the second best song in my opinion. His vocal placement in this song fits it perfectly, and it's kinda a sad song if you think about it. He's an excellent writer. // 8

Overall Impression: When I first got into The Agony Scene, they had just released their debut album. I never got into it that much. I then heard Scapegoat off their new album, and Prey. When I heard these songs, I said to myself, "I have to either steal this CD from the store, or buy it immediately." I was very impressed with the production quality of this CD. I love how powerful the singing is, and how powerful the guitar, drums, and bass fit in with eachother. The only thing I don't particularly like is that some of the tracks, like Sacrifice, is kind of repetitive. // 8

The Darkest Red Reviewed by: Thefallofman, on october 04, 2006

Sound: I remember hearing of this band through a friend and the song "Scapegoat". That song is still my favorite on the album. Soon after, the video for "Prey" came out and I loved it, also. After searching and searching, I located the album and bought it. The problem with this CD is that the 2 songs I heard were by far the best on the album, and "As Screams Turn To Silence" is the only other song that holds any interest for me. These 3 songs were great, and had this album been a 3 song EP, I'd have given it 5 stars. Every other song is just boring. The songs all sound the same for the most part, there's no way I could listen all the way through this album. // 3

Lyrics: The lyrics, I thought were alright. Typical metal lyrics, dark themes, death, etc. Nothing groundbreaking, but the vocalist got his point across through them, and they fit the music quite well. The singer, I like more than the rest of the band. His high pitched screams are very different from the typical metalcore vocals, and he can sing pretty well, too. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this isn't a favorite metal album of mine by any means. I actually hadn't listened to it for quite some time when I gave it a spin last night. The 3 standout tracks, as I said earlier are "Scapegoat", "Prey", and "As Screams Turn To Silence". The rest of the album is worth about a quarter, just boring music, and pretty much just the same song played 9 times with a few variations. If this album were stolen/lost I probably wouldn't care much. I think I might just burn the 3 good songs onto a CDR and sell the actual CD soon. // 4

The Darkest Red Reviewed by: BertTehMighty, on june 29, 2007

Sound: This was one of the first albums I picked up when I was first getting into metalcore. I may have been a newbie to the entire genre, but I recognised originality when I heard it. The Agony Scene really pulled away from their first self-titled release and revamped their sound in this album. They've totally broken away from the generic melodic death/breakdown style of their predecessors and have gone in a more thrash influenced direction, keeping their hardcore roots close at heart all the time but still managing to put in interesting noise overdubs. They've managed to balance the sing/scream parts well enough that it isn't instantly predictable creating spine-tingling, uneasy and downright enjoyable sound scapes. Rob Caggiono has really done a very decent job in producing the band capturing their sound perfectly, capturing all instruments to their fullest potential. Pete Webb's double kick technique is intense and precise, but is also very astute in not over-stating parts of songs leaving plenty of space for the guitarists to work around. The guitar work from Chris Emmons and Brian Hodges is pulled off very well, with interesting overdubs and interludes in between all the mayhem. Chris Rye's bass work also does very well in keeping the sound solid and at the odd occasion, leans out and gives the song more character in a guitar dominated genre. Michael Williams diversity is stunning at times, being as astute at screaming as he is singing melodically (which he does very well). My only complaint about this album is that certain songs fail to stand out as different to the others, with certain parts of the album blending a little too seemlessly. Still, their experimentation has given them a new direction and it will serve them well on tour and providing the ground roots for even more branching out in their next album. // 9

Lyrics: Michael Williams lyrics seem to have come from a very dark place inside of him indeed, with subjects of self mutilation, helplessness, love/lust gone wrong and general suffering. Even though the lyrics don't stand out as starkly original in parts, I as a listener feels that every single line is heartfelt and true to the singer's intentions. Williams vocal ability is quite unreal at times, with screams so high and intense you wonder how his voice box hasn't torn itself in two from the sheer angst and hatred he pours out of it. This constant screaming also hasn't affected his ability to sing melodically, managing to always stay and key and only sings and screams where the song calls for it, not where it'll sound "heavy". Williams is also very easily able to hook a listener into certain lines and choruses, whether he's screaming or singing. I feel he does this most effectively in the track, "My Dark Desire", which I simply cannot resist singing and screaming along to. A brilliant effort by this singer. // 9

Overall Impression: In the realm of metalcore, this release tends to stand by itself. Their melodic death metal influences haven't been totally shredded but have certainly been reduced hugely. Their crusty and discordant overdubs give their songs a character lacking in the genre and manage to sound heavy without having to resort to cliches. Standout songs from this album are "The Darkest Red", "Scars Of Your Disease" and "My Dark Desire". Overall, a brilliant album, it's definetly worth the listen. // 9

Comments