Great Faith In Fools review by The Air I Breathe

• Released: Jun 6, 2011
The Air I Breathe: Great Faith In Fools

Fans of metal-core will certainly not be disappointed by this New Jersey quintet's debut album, Great Faith In Fools. Despite not breaking any new ground with this album, The Air I Breathe sets their sound apart from other bands flooding the genre and label. The guitar work Cam Baptista and Jesse Butler lifts this album above mediocrity and into talks of metal-core album of the year. The riff through the breakdown at the end of Here's To Letting Go is pure poetry in motion and the guitar solo in The Awakening is extremely well done. Greg Diamond, behind the kit, is no slouch either, supplying many machine gun double bass rhythms throughout. Still, though, the traditional ingredients for an album of this nature are there including bass bombs, clean choruses, manipulated screams (the stutter effect as I like to call it) and breakdowns. While this will certainly attract metal-core fans to the album, it may repel those who have deemed this sound generic and overdone.

The lyrics are probably the worst part of the album. The screams are definitely well done, as Tony Dougard's grainy voice lends perfectly to the sound of the album, but the lyrics are cliche lost love lyrics more often than not. Also, the clean vocals, although well done, sometimes feel forced and remind you that you are indeed listening to a Rise Records band. If these lyrics hit home for you, then that is absolutely great, but they are nothing to really write home about.

Don't let the fact that Rise Records put out this CD turn you away from listening to it. This may be a metal-core album but the brilliant guitar work and the brutal vocals, minus the cleans sprinkled in, really set the band apart from the rest of the label. Killer songs: The Inevitable, Here's To Letting Go, and The Awakening.

Cheolmey777
    Aliens-exist182 wrote: omg....iwant tabs for these solos soooo bad..haha my new favourite band n_n
    I posted guitar pro's for a few of the songs
    Metallidethium
    registered_user wrote: i thought the lyrics were very good actually. i suppose they "hit home" for me
    That's good! They actually hit home for me as well but I tried to remain objective.