The Airborne Toxic Event review by The Airborne Toxic Event

• Released: Jan 1, 2008
The Airborne Toxic Event: The Airborne Toxic Event

The Airborne Toxic Event is a band from Los Angeles, California formed by Mike Jollett in 2006 and incorporates a wide variety of instruments such as violins, keyboards. Its sound is a well crafted and catchy melody; its riffs are also balanced and coordinated and in tempo with the drums giving the sound a not too hard rock sound but soft rock sound. My first thought of hearing the song Wishing Well was that I was listening to a new indie band with the same type of negligence to mainstream rock but its music somehow differed from Indie, just a little bit, but it was not close to the sound of mainstream music either so for that I give the band a thumbs up for this magnificent achievement of creating a balance of indie/alternative rock and a hint of mainstream rock.

The lyrics of The Airborne Toxic Event's album are a mixture of emotion, life struggles, experiences and hardships. Most of the albums lyrical inspiration was made during the events of the time the band formed; its elements were events such as a disease he has that involves two skin conditions, his mother developing cancer, and a break up. But with Mike Jollett's singing that expresses feeling and emotion, it gives the songs a very dramatic feeling. The creativeness in structure of the lyrics combined with the overall image they convey to you make this album a huge achievement in their new balance of two genres of music. Furthermore the lyrics placing in the song give the song a catchy rhyme to sing along to.

Its music is commonly compared to such artists as The Strokes and The Arcade Fire but personally I find their music more like that of Carolina Liar, The Dandy Warhol's, and Interpol. Some of the albums best songs are Sometime around Midnight, for its structure and riffs combined with the simple melodies in the background, Something New for its fast tempo beat, Missy for its chord melody/chord progressions and Papillon for its fast intro and sing along lyrics. Some of its dislikes are that at times you might think you're listening to the same song but with different lyrics which gives it a repetitive song after song. However the band does a good job of keeping the music alive and full and certainly achieved making a good record with this album.

special_kae_911
    I love this album. It wiggled it's way into my ipod and ever since, it hasn't stopped playing. Very addicting rhythms. I can listen to it over and over again and never really get tired of it.