Move Along review by The All-American Rejects

• Released: Jul 12, 2005
The All-American Rejects: Move Along

The band has a very radio-friendly/mainstream sound. I think that they have been classified as pop-punk though. The music in this CD is quite different from their debut album. This is due mostly to the fact that they have experimented with different sounds as well as different instruments. I especially liked the song Night Drive. It reminds me of some gang movie. Like the West Side Story. Another song worth mentioning is Top Of The World, where Nick plays this mexican/spanish type intro. But the most interesting intro by far is the one in Change Your Mind. I'm not quite sure what instrument it is they're using. But it still sounds good though. Reminds me of those "Looney Tune" moments where Bugs Bunny is running sneakily through the forest. Other than the variety in sound, this is still typical AAR.

I don't think that the lyrics are the best part of the CD though. A bad thing about the CD is that they displayed the lyrics in a spread out and unorganized manner in the booklet. So when you're reading the lyrics, you can't know which of the words are in which song. But even if you CAN read the lyrics, most of them doesn't make sense anyway. But even though some of the lyrics fit the song really well, I still think that the music overshadows the lyrics.

Here are my impressions on the tracks on the album: 01. Dirty Little Secret - I really liked the riffs in this song. I also liked the actual song itself. I'm not quite sure what it's about though. Judging from the title, I'm guessing that it's about keeping someone a dirty little secret. 02. Stab My Back - I'm really not a big fan of this song. The verse is good, but the chorus just sounds weird. 03. Move Along - the title track. Since this is the title track it is 1, if not, the best song in the album. I especially liked the choir at the end of the song. My only problem with this song is that the additional cymbals in the background can get a bit annoying. 04. It Ends Tonight - this is another good song. Starting out with just a piano in the 1st verse & then coming in with heavy guitars on the rest of the song. You can still hear the orchestra though. 05. Change Your Mind - the best intro in the entire album. The actual song is good too. I didn't like it at first but it slowly grew on me. 06. Night Drive - my favourite song in the album. It starts out with the sounds of clapping & stompping feet. Just like I said earlier, it reminds me of those gang movies like West Side Story. I especially liked the riffs here. Very catchy. 07. 11:11 PM - another song that took me a while to get used to. Most of the songs in the album takes a while to get used to. But most of them grow on you overtime. I still don't like the chorus though. But the verses & bridge are still good. 08. Dance Inside - this is a classic example of a song that "grows on you". It gives you that feeling of nostalgia whenever you hear this song. 09. Top Of The World - I loved the spanish/mexican guitar here. This is the only song which AAR tackled the topic of politics in their lyrics. 10. Straightjacket Feeling - I consider this song as the slowest in the album. An orchestra & guitar are the only instruments used in this song. 11. I'm Waiting - this is, in my opinion, the hardest song in the album. Due mostly to the guitar riffs. 12. Can't Take It - now this is the stand out track in the album. A piano & full orchestra backs up Tyson's high pitched singing. This can also be compared to Simple Plan's Untitled. But in my opinion, this is better. Since Untitled was overplayed too much. 13. Night Drive (acoustic) - this suprisingly sounds very different to the original. It starts off with what sounds like traditional african drums. Although it is still a good song, the original sounds better. Even though this is a good sophomore album, their 1st was better. The most impressive songs would have to be Night Drive, Dirty Little Secret, Move Along & Can't Take It. I liked the fact that they experimented with different sounds & instruments in the CD. But my complaint would have to be the arrangement of the lyrics on the booklet. Of course, it looks very fun & original, but it's hard for those who actually want to read the lyrics. As usual, I wouldn't buy any CD twice. Since it is just a waste of money. If it were stolen, I wouldn't blame the guy who stole it since it is a good CD. And I wouldn't care if it got lost since I have it in my computer. But I recommend all new fans of this band to buy their debut album. And if you like what you hear, go ahead & buy this one.

guitardude98
    this one was way better than the first one. the only tracks i didn't like were stab my back and straightjacket feeling
    Learn_to_fly
    Ummm... to me, this album will never be anything more than just music to play in the background at a party, bbq, or just if you're chilling with some mates. Not that awesome. In the genre of pop, I prefer Relient K, Plain White T's and Motion City Soundtrack to this; but still, these guys have some really catchy singles.
    Metal_freek
    i agree with learn to fly. punk pop isnt my favrit music but i dont mind lisenin 2 it at parties and stuff. but i think the 1st one was better.