When The World Comes Down review by The All-American Rejects

• Released: Dec 16, 2008
The All-American Rejects: When The World Comes Down

Starting with the sound. This album is catchy, experemental and interesting to listen to. It is less of a rock album than AAR's last few releases, but its sure to take hold of the listener's ears. The choruses and verses get stuck in your head after one or two listens since they have such a strong melody. Synthesizers play a big part in AAR's new album, and the old grunge guitars which we remember for "Dirty Little Secret" are no longer present. The sounds brings a new edge to AAR which I believe which should be a fairly popular one.

The Lyrics in the album are very unique and sometimes also abstract. Song titles include "Damn Girl", "The Wind Blows" and "Mona Lisa". My overall impression of the lyrics is fairly good, but the previous AAR albums had more meaning and were much more powerful. Once again, Tyson Ritter (Lead Singer) brings some great melodies into the songs and does well to keep his pitch.

My overall impression for this album is that its a good album worth buying, only if you have of spare cash. Some tracks like "I Wanna" and "Gives You Hell" will be a few of the favourites on this album, although I can't pick a track which wouldn't be worth listening to. The synthesizers bring a science fiction feel about them at some points and the slow tempo of some tracks means that not all AAR fans will be a fan of this album. This album is simply a fun pop record. The effort, time and most importantly, experience that went into its making clearly sets AAR apart from newer bands who keep attempting to capture this same sound with much less ambition. AAR make pop songs sound so effortless, and that's not easy.