Live At Fillmore East review by The Allman Brothers Band

The Allman Brothers Band: Live At Fillmore East

Often regarded as the greatest live album ever, the music on this CD definetly backs this theory. The sound on the album is incredible, as the greatest Southern Rock band plays at the legendary Fillmore East. The recording quality is perfect as you can hear the crowd cheering on as the band jams into songs going on over ten minutes. Best known for their blues-based jam-rock, the band plays a variety of music from the Latin-influenced Dickey Betts classic "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" to the Elmore James "Done Somebody Wrong." Those that have bought the reissued version will get a few more songs included that were saved for other albums such as "Mountain Jam," which is on the Eat A Peach album. I've got the version without "Mountain Jam," but I got it on Eat A Peach, so I'm content. No mattter what the song, style, or anything, the musicians are able to create some of the most beautiful music ever heard; as Duane and Dickey tame their guitars, switching off solos and licks, Gregg sings his heart out as his organ work rings in the background. Oakley keeps the groove going on bass and Jai Johanny "Jaimo" Johanson and Butch Trucks keeps a strong beat.

The lyrics are great, whether they be written by the band or someone else. As good as they are, they'd be nothing if they weren't sung by the greatest, white blues singer Gregg Allman. He can only be described as a "ministrel" when you talk about the beauty his voice brings to the music. Rich, and strong, Gregg boasts one of the greatest voices of any singer.

As I said, it is regarded as one of the greatest live albums ever, and it is my personal favorite. The most impressive song on the version I have would either be "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" or "Whipping Post." For those of with the reissued version, I'd say "Mountain Jam," which keeps you guessing and wondering how the band is able to improvise for roughly 35 minutes and never get repetitive (you think that's something, listen to the 44 minutes version at the Ludlow Garage). There's nothing about this album I hate. It is perfect. Final verdict. Though it may sound unnecessary to say, I can only describe this album as "a musical orgasm." If it were lost or stolen, I'd definetly buy another. Any fan of music, no matter what genre, should pick this up. It is one of the most enjoyable albums to listen to. A masterpiece.