The Allman Brothers Band review by The Allman Brothers Band

• Released: Jan 1, 1969
The Allman Brothers Band: The Allman Brothers Band

Musically, this album is beautiful, and more surprising than that is the fact that it was the debut album for the legendary Souther rock group The Allman Brothers Band. For the most part, the album is very-blues based, sporting songs such as "It's Not My Cross to Bear", a cover of Muddy Water's "Trouble No More", and the famous "Whipping Post", best known for the live version at the Fillmore East, which runs just over twenty-three minutes. This album is the first showcase of Duane Allman's renowned slide guitar, displayed on Gregg Allman's "Dreams" and "Every Hungry Woman". The Allman Brothers Band has grown a reputation for it's instrumental pieces, and what better way to open the album with an instrumental, a cover of The Spencer Davis Group's "Don't Want You No More", in which guitarists Dickey Betts and Duane Allman trade off between solos. My personal favorite song on the album is "Black Hearted Woman", which shows a fine display of the musical talents that belong to the members of the band.

Most blues lyrics are simple and usually about hard times in life, particularly about a man's trouble with his chick. Usually there isn't much to blues writing, but nonetheless Gregg wrote some really great material for this album, and the lyrics for "Trouble No More", originally written by Muddy Waters, are similar to the rest of the lyrics displayed throughout the other songs (except "Don't Want You No More", because it is an instrumental). Many people highlight "Dreams" as Gregg Allman's brightest piece of lyrical writing - not only on the album, but throughout his career.

This album is great for a debut, and just great period. I rank it highly with other albums I listen to, and it's my favorite by The Allman Brothers Band. As I stated, my favorite song on the album is "Black Hearted Woman", but I could listen to anything on this album and thoroughly enjoy it. If this album was stolen or lost, I'd definetly replace it immediately, it's a must have for any blues or Southern rock fan.