Chasing Ghosts review by The Amity Affliction

• Released: Oct 1, 2012
The Amity Affliction: Chasing Ghosts

I have been listening to this Australian post-hardcore outfit for a few months now and recently picked up a copy of their new CD entitled "Chasing Ghosts". Right off the bat the album cover depicts a person hanging from a tree, implying suicide; heavy stuff. Now I know how over saturated the "core" genre is but I think this band is still worth your time. The Amity Affliction is guilty of "chugga-chug" riffs but where the band shines brightest is in their choruses. It is formula we all know by now but the combination of intense verses and soaring choruses really shine on their 3rd album. There is nothing on this album that is going to reinvent the wheel but the content is a breath of fresh air and breath taking all at the same time. The instruments are very by the books for a post hardcore band so do not expect groundbreaking guitar, bass or drum work.

The lyrics and singing/screaming on this album are the high point for sure. Even from the get go we realize this album is about the struggles of suicide and it's aftermath. The lead single, opener, and title track give us an idea of what people go through when contemplating the ultimate decision. I remember watching an interview stating the screamer, Joel Birch, went through a period of deep depression and went through these feelings so the lyrics are honest about such strong subject matter. The clean singer, Ahren Stringer, shines as the intense songs relent for a soaring beautiful chorus, while letting screamer, Joel Birch, shred his vocal chords in an attempt to bring the heat in the breakdowns and verses. One thing that I really enjoy about the 2 singers is how often they switch back and forth. It really does not feel like good cop/bad cop vocal style but 2 distinct voices trying to tell a story of suicide and the people living in it's wake. Singing 8. Lyrics 10.

Unfortunately this band does blend in with everyone well, from the guitars to the extra electronic elements, but I stand by them and think that they have a strong message to deliver and are stand outs in a scene that are all copying each other. I have never been through a situation such as dealing with suicidal thoughts or having a friend that has but I feel like this band can give hope to anybody going through a rough time in their lives. The lyrics have the ability to connect with people on many levels and I believe this band has a very bright future, at the very least in my heart. To quote The Amity Affliction, "Cherish all you have left."

Best Songs:
- Greens Avenue
- Geoff Sux 666
- Bondi St. Blues

emil_sej
    Why is this labeled as post-hardcore? The tracks I listened to were pretty much archetype metalcore with a tad more focus on clean vocals.
    stoltobot
    Post-hardcore has really changed a lot in the past 15 years without becoming called post-post-hardcore, or even post-post-post-hardcore. I thought these guys were more metalcore. But what's in a name?
    BwareDWare94
    I'm waiting for a band that actually has a good clean singer. This is ****ing terrible. It's almost like Killswitch stole the only two decent singers in recent metalcore memory. Everybody else is high pitched and annoying. AILD's clean vocalist isn't too bad, but it's still that type of voice...
    Paro_metalhead
    Metalcore needs to end. Now.
    Triumphus
    Well why are you on a core album review? There's no need to fight amongst subgenres, we could all just appreciate some decent music unlike the majority of society.