Rise review by The Answer

• Released: Jun 26, 2006
The Answer: Rise

The sound on this album is amazing, awesome guitar work and tone through and through. The energy and intensity of the band is fully captured in every song. The singer at times is reminiscent of Sammy Hagar (in a good way, though). The riffs are solid and fresh and the rhthym section is top-notch. With thgat being said there is one small problem I have with the albums sound as a whole. Just like Sabbath's Paranoid and ACDC's Back In Black (the albums, not the songs), this guitarist has found a monster tone that he seems to have fallen in love with. Almost every song has the same sound to it that to some it may get a little tedious. I'm not saying the songs are bad or that the tone is bad. I'm saying that sometimes you can have to much of a good thing, as may be the case in this album. I love the sound he's got, though.

The lyrics were the one part of this album that made contemplate not buying it. Whereas everything else on this album gets an A, I would give the lyrics a C-. They are predictable and novice. For example, on the song "No Questions Asked" the BGVs on the chorus go "Ask no questions. Tell no lies." Who didn't see that coming? That is pretty much the case throughout the album. The songer's got some chops though. He can really wail and hit those high notes. Perfect complement to the band.

THis album reminds me of The Black Crowes' "Shake Your Money Maker". Every song is solid and the each have a blues tinge to them. The sound a little like The Black Crowes, Jimi Hendrix, Rage Against the Machine (a little), James Gang, and pretty much every '70s band rolled into one. My favorite song is Never Too Late, it's got a sweet intro and a funky verse line. Like I said before, great songs, iffy lyrics, but worth the price of admission.