Blue Skies, Broken Hearts... Next 12 Exits review by The Ataris

• Released: Apr 13, 1999
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
The Ataris: Blue Skies, Broken Hearts... Next 12 Exits

"Blue skies....." has definitely come a long way in terms of musical variation when compared to the Ataris 1st full length "...anywhere but here" which wore its Jawbreaker/Green Day influences on its sleaves. The sound quality and production of this-there second full length album- has a much tighter sound (it was produced by Joey Cape of Lagwagon). The hooks come thick and fast with crashing choruses and buzz-saw guitars. The first half of this album focuses more on the easy listening infectious melodies that all ataris fans know and love. However, the second half of "Blue skies..." is much darker in terms of both the music and lyrical content.

On songs like "san dimas highschool football rules" and "I wont spend another night alone" Kris Roe sings about what he know's best, love and heartache. however, on songs such as "The last song I will ever write about a girl" and "Broken promise ring" Kris reveals his insecurity. In my view Kris Roe's way with words makes him one of the best lyricists around in modern music today. On closing track,"In spite of the world" Kris shows off his song writting skills by creating an intense and clostophobic series of oxymorons and working them into a superb closer to a great album.

In my opinion this is not the best Ataris album (see my review of End Is Forever). However, it is a totaly different album and therefor I find it hard to make un-biased comparisons. I love this cd and if I lost it I'd buy it again as soon as I had the money. My favorite songs are "The last song I will ever write about a girl" and "Your boyfriend sucks". My least favorite song (but by no means bad) is "Angry nerd rock" simply because it is already on there debut album "...anywhere but here" and I believe the original version is superior. This is an excellent cd to buy for first time ataris listeners and I recommend it to all punk/emo/posthardcore/alternative fans out there.