Blue Skies, Broken Hearts... Next 12 Exits Review

Styles: Punk-Pop
 9.8
 9.5
reviews (4) user comments vote for this album:
Blue Skies, Broken Hearts... Next 12 Exits Reviewed by: matt_rawlings, on february 12, 2004

Sound: "Blue skies....." has definitely come a long way in terms of musical variation when compared to the Ataris 1st full length "...anywhere but here" which wore its Jawbreaker/Green Day influences on its sleaves. The sound quality and production of this-there second full length album- has a much tighter sound (it was produced by Joey Cape of Lagwagon). The hooks come thick and fast with crashing choruses and buzz-saw guitars. The first half of this album focuses more on the easy listening infectious melodies that all ataris fans know and love. However, the second half of "Blue skies..." is much darker in terms of both the music and lyrical content. // 8

Lyrics: On songs like "san dimas highschool football rules" and "I wont spend another night alone" Kris Roe sings about what he know's best, love and heartache. however, on songs such as "The last song I will ever write about a girl" and "Broken promise ring" Kris reveals his insecurity. In my view Kris Roe's way with words makes him one of the best lyricists around in modern music today. On closing track,"In spite of the world" Kris shows off his song writting skills by creating an intense and clostophobic series of oxymorons and working them into a superb closer to a great album. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion this is not the best Ataris album (see my review of End Is Forever). However, it is a totaly different album and therefor I find it hard to make un-biased comparisons. I love this cd and if I lost it I'd buy it again as soon as I had the money. My favorite songs are "The last song I will ever write about a girl" and "Your boyfriend sucks". My least favorite song (but by no means bad) is "Angry nerd rock" simply because it is already on there debut album "...anywhere but here" and I believe the original version is superior. This is an excellent cd to buy for first time ataris listeners and I recommend it to all punk/emo/posthardcore/alternative fans out there. // 8

Blue Skies, Broken Hearts... Next 12 Exits Reviewed by: the fendernator, on march 24, 2004

Sound: There are some great guitar pieces in this album worth listening to. The lyrics fit in well with the guitar, bass and drums. // 10

Lyrics: Yeah it's been said before but Kris Roe is a great singer and songwriter. The lyrics are deep in songs 'The last song I will ever write about a girl' and tell a story and give names of girls on 'San dimas highschool football rules' and '1/15/96'. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this is the album that the ataris dumped all their songs that didn't fit on their other albums. The songs don't link up to each other as well as on their new album and there are a variety of styles being played. It is however, worth getting because the songs are very catchy. My personal favourites are 'I won't spend another night alone' and 'San dimas highschool football rules'. // 8

Blue Skies, Broken Hearts... Next 12 Exits Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2004

Sound: When I first borrowed this album from my friend, I wasn't very impressed. I didn't think it was bad thought, so I played it in the background of whatever I was doing. After about 2 days of listening to it, The Ataris had become one of my favorite bands. The first 5 songs are 5 of the best songs you will hear on any album. The sound of this album grows on you, but once it has, you can't stop listening to it. This CD has The Ataris' best song on it, San Dimas High School Football Rules. It is their best work, hands down. // 10

Lyrics: This album is full of songs about love, breakups, and choices. Sometimes it gets tiresome, but these songs are written and sung creatively enough that it doesn't get old. My Hotel Year is a great (but maybe a little too simple) acoustic song with great lyrics. San Dimas is one of the best love songs I've heard, but at the end of the CD you feel bad for him, because shit never works out for him. // 10

Overall Impression: Buy this album now and your life will be better. Need some help with your girlfriend? Listen to I Won't Spend Another Night Alone or San Dimas High School Football Rules. Just sing her a little "A star up in the sky..." and she'll be yours. Apart from great love lyrics, this album has great sound, which only got better on End is Forever. For anybody that likes So Long, Astoria, buy this album and End is Forever, and you'll like the Ataris even more than you already do. // 10

Blue Skies, Broken Hearts... Next 12 Exits Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 12, 2004

Sound: This album has a sound that never gets boring, or forces you to change cds after a while. The vocals, guitars and drums all work perfectly, creating songs that I just wouldnt change. // 10

Lyrics: Perfect in a word. I've enjoyed many of the finest moments of my life listening to this album, and also some bad ones. I can absolutely relate to the lyrics. Driving home, window down thinking about a girl you may never see again; nothing comes close. // 10

Overall Impression: This is still my favourite album. I've had it for years, and I'm going to have to buy another copy cos this one's scratched like no other! I love the other ataris albums, but this one draws me back more often, and lets me re-live the good times I've had. My favouite songs? Well, the first 6 are stunning. San Dimas, I wont spend another night alone and Broken promise ring are three of the best tracks I've ever heard. When I buy it again, I'm going to have to make several copies of it and store them away, because I never want to be without this album. // 10

Comments