So Long, Astoria review by The Ataris

• Released: Mar 4, 2003
The Ataris: So Long, Astoria

"So Long, Astoria" is probably the second best CD by the Ataris (there best is "Look Forward To Failure," good luck finding it though!) The Ataris have taken a more melodic soucd to this album, and did a dang good job, too. This album is more rock and pop-punk than their previous albums, along with some more serious lyrics. The only thing about this is that the guitars really aren't as great as they were on previous albums (but "Looking Back On Today" is a nightmare to play!)

The lyrics are a lot more serious than before, and most of the songs are kind of sad. Kris Roe keeps the album clean and upbeat with his lyrics and awesome singing. There is probably no swearing, but there is a debate. In the song "All You Can Ever Learn Is What You Already Know" (long title), the booklet says that the first chorus is "I'm trying to believe in you, but all these sattelites and shattered dreams are blocking out my view." It sounds like he's saying "but all these sattelites and shattered dreams are f--ing up my view." But maybe it's just me.

This is an album that gets a lot of playing time in my collection, I would say that the best 5 songs on the album (#1 being the best) are: Looking Back On Today, All You Can Ever Learn Is What You Already Know, Takeoffs And Landings, The Hero Dies In This One, Boys Of Summer.