So Long, Astoria Review

8.8
 8.5
reviews (6) 1 comment vote for this album:
So Long, Astoria Reviewed by: PublicDstrbance, on november 12, 2003

Sound: Nothing brilliant here. Pretty much the same old format, palm mute during the verse, no palm mute during chorus. There is really nothing worty or praise with the guitar parts in So Long, Astoria. Except for "Boys of the Summer". But we all know that Kris Roe didn't write it. Props to Don Henly for "Boys of the Summer". // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are what really are the driving force of this album. In So Long, Astoria the album name pretty much tells you what all the lyrics are about. Saying goodbye to childhood, growing up, letting the past go. It was a real wake up call to my life. Kris Roe's voice is fine but not really great, his lyrics are great. // 10

Overall Impression: If you got 15 bucks in your pocket go buy So Long, Astoria. It's not a epic album....but it's good none the less. In a few years I'll look back at my life and play this CD in my car. Cause it pretty much sums up what your childhood is all about. "Boys of the Summer" is probably the best song on the album. The Ataris are worthy of covering this song. All in All...Deliteful. // 8

So Long, Astoria Reviewed by: Colinawthnowena, on march 18, 2004

Sound: I don't know what the hell the guy before this is talking about. Boys of summer is definitely not there best song but it's awesome. So what if they didn't write it, a lot of bands remake songs, and the ataris did an awesome job with this cover. It is way better than the original. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome. They are a lot different than most bands but thats not bad. I don't really care what the guy before me thinks, Kris Roe's voice is not just good, it's awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't care how much money you have in your pocket, go buy this cd. Steal it if you have to. It kicks ass. The guy before is clearly an extreme homosexual for not thinking this is one of the best cd's ever made. // 10

So Long, Astoria Reviewed by: the fendernator, on march 26, 2004

Sound: There are no interesting guitar parts like in 'Blue skies, broken hearts, next 12 exits...' instead just a few fast songs, a few slow songs and just about the best cover of 'Boys of summer' you'll ever hear. The drumming can be boring but I just tend to listen to the lyrics of this album. // 8

Lyrics: Great. The lyrics are great on this album. Lively in some songs and sad in others. The lyrics match the guitar parts perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great album by the ataris. The songs link up to each other very well and a lot of effort is put into each song. There are even bonus tracks from some of their old albums. Everyone loves bonus tracks. My advice is buy this album whether you like the ataris or not, and listen to the lyrics and sing along. They are quite catchy. There is no point learning the guitar parts for this album as they are nothing special though. // 8

So Long, Astoria Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2004

Sound: Excellent sound! C'mon guys how can you not think so no 2 songs sound close alike. The guitar parts while fairly simple really complement Kris's voice and the rest of the band and fit the lyrics perfectly. Very catchy. // 10

Lyrics: No question at all about the lyrics, A+. "Being grown up isnt half as fun as growing up isn't half as fun as growing up these are the best days of our lives". Thats totally awesome what they are saying and the best thing it's not a dark album at all with no swearing or anything just Kris Roe writing what he's feeling. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably the best cd I have bought in a long time. It's tottaly worth buying no question about it. I think this is the best cd that the guys have come out with in their carrers so nice job! // 10

So Long, Astoria Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2004

Sound: "So Long, Astoria" is probably the second best CD by the Ataris (there best is "Look Forward To Failure," good luck finding it though!) The Ataris have taken a more melodic soucd to this album, and did a dang good job, too. This album is more rock and pop-punk than their previous albums, along with some more serious lyrics. The only thing about this is that the guitars really aren't as great as they were on previous albums (but "Looking Back On Today" is a nightmare to play!) // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are a lot more serious than before, and most of the songs are kind of sad. Kris Roe keeps the album clean and upbeat with his lyrics and awesome singing. There is probably no swearing, but there is a debate. In the song "All You Can Ever Learn Is What You Already Know" (long title), the booklet says that the first chorus is "I'm trying to believe in you, but all these sattelites and shattered dreams are blocking out my view." It sounds like he's saying "but all these sattelites and shattered dreams are f--ing up my view." But maybe it's just me. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an album that gets a lot of playing time in my collection, I would say that the best 5 songs on the album (#1 being the best) are: Looking Back On Today, All You Can Ever Learn Is What You Already Know, Takeoffs And Landings, The Hero Dies In This One, Boys Of Summer. // 10

So Long, Astoria Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 28, 2005

Sound: Anyone who can pull off a cover song of one the greatest anthems ever aka Boys Of Summer is good in my book. The Ataris are a hard hitting band out of Cali and you can tell in their music. That's ok though, I love the sound of all the Cali bands and these guys are no exceptions. While not overally original they rock hard and have some great songs. // 8

Lyrics: Ah, the lyrics. Well, to be frank you can only write so many songs about summer before it gets old. But even so I still love the lyrics, I guess I'm like them and just live for the summer. While some of the subjects and lines are extremly cliche, it is still a good listen and will definatley effect the right person listening. Others however might grow bored with Kris' repetive word use and forced rhyming however, and while his voice complements the style of music, I wouldn't exactly call it heavenly either. // 6

Overall Impression: All in all being a guy who lives for the summer I loved this album. My favorite songs are: In This Diary, My Reply (one of my top 10 favorite songs of all time), The Saddest Song, and of course their amazing cover of Boys Of Summer. As far as albums go this is about as close you can get to perfect for me. Every song speaks to me somehow. If it were stolen/lost I would definatley buy it again. Out of my 120 or so CDs I put this up near the top 20, so by my say it's a great CD and a great buy! // 10

Comments