Self-Titled Album review by The Audition

• Released: Apr 28, 2009
The Audition: Self-Titled Album

I've been a fan of this band for about two years now. I first discovered them while searching on itunes for new music. I instantly loved their first full length album "Controversy Loves Company." A little over a year ago the Audition released their second album. Called "Champion," that's just what it was- an album that surpassed almost everything I had ever heard by any alternative/pop punk artist. When I discovered that they were coming out with a new album about two months ago, I literally could hardly contain my anticipation and excitement. Literally called "Self-Titled Album," this was the first album the Audition released with the absence of bassist Joe Luss. While the album doesn't sport as many catchy bass riffs as "Champion," the energy is still there. Seth Johnson and Timmy Klepek (Klepek actually took over the bass parts too) still lay down really catchy guitar riffs. Danny Steven's returns with his powerful voice that will have you singing "I love the way that you move, and all the things that you do..." all day. However, what I was a bit disappointed in was the use of electronic synthesized sounds. While the electronica doesn't overtake every song, it's still there and takes away from the natural feel of the album. If I wanted to hear electronic alternative, I wouldn't be listening to the Audition, but to something such as 3OH! 3... Not that I really want to listen to 3OH! 3...

Danny Stevens returns once again with his vocals fitting the Audition's style perfectly again. Like previous albums, he does his own harmonies, and they work out perfectly. The lyrics, however, are only somewhat witty. While I think they're catchy, they just seem to be very bland... especially in the opening song "The Running Man..." "Arrested by your love girl, Constant search on the floor, Badly beaten in love girl, Turn the key and lock the door." When I was first writing music I wrote stuff very similar to this, which is why I don't find the lyrics on this album to be all that great. However, like I said, they are catchy. I frequently find myself singing most of their songs.

For an alternative/pop punk album, the album is above the mediocrity level, but doesn't really stand out as something I would tell people they need to hear. That's what "Champion" was for. It's sorta like a trilogy. The first movie introduces you to the story and characters. There are some memorable parts, but overall you want the second one. The second movie comes out and blows your mind away. You can't stop watching it. Then it sadly ends. The third movie comes out, and sadly you're disappointed. The songs from "Self-Titled Album" that stand out the most to me are "The Running Man," "The Way You Move," "It's Gonna Be Hard (When I'm Gone)," and "Everybody is Someone Else's Secret." While they're all very catchy, all but "The Running Man" have failed to stick in my head. I just wish Joe Lussa was still with the Audition. That way they'd have grooving bass riffs, and being a bassist, I enjoy playing his stuff. As I stated earlier, the one thing I didn't like about this album was the use of electronic snythesizers. I just feel that rock music needs to stay true to the combination of guitar, bass, and drums. Anything added to it begins to dilute it. Despite that, I would still purchase this album again if anything were to ever happen to it.

singscreams
    On a semantics note, I don't think you've seen many trilogies. Here's how it normally goes: and you can see it in Star Wars (both trilogies) The Looking Glass Wars (a book trilogy that still doesn't have the third book, but I am gonna assume) Pirates of the Carribean The Lord of the Rings it's a marketing thing, the first movie has to be able to stand on it's own. If people like it, you make the second, but make it end crappily so that people NEED to see the third to know the end of the story.
    Nano556
    Great album 9/10 from me, they're a very cool band to meet as well.