The Second Gleam review by The Avett Brothers

• Released: Jul 22, 2008
The Avett Brothers: The Second Gleam

The banjo toting/indie-pop trio, The Avett Brothers, garnish their latest release The Second Gleam with acoustic splashes and country-folk motifs reminiscent of Iron And Wine and Band Of Horses. Produced by Rick Rubin (Johnny Cash, Jakob Dylan), the songs accentuate every blemish on the music's anatomy and every sore spot in the band's prairieland voicing. The lead vocals of banjo player Scott Avett embalm the flowy movements with slow rising crests and swells that seize hold of the listener's thought processes as the country-folk faculties of guitarist/keyboardist Seth Avett are intrinsically in tune to the rhythmic knolls of bassist/backup vocalist Bob Crawford. The gently twirling guitar chords of Swept Away create a soft wonderland ambience as the upbeat gait of Die, Die, Die adds circles of festive jolts to the album. The songs allow listeners to walk along to the pensive beats while the words sink into their thoughts as they go about their daily routine.

The lyrics are centered around the family and home life like in Tear Down The House where the lyrics demand, Tear down the house that I grew up in / I'll never be the same again / Take everything that I've collected / And throw it in a pile / Bulldoze the woods that I ran through / Carry the pictures of me and you / I have no memory of who I once was / And I doubt I'll remember your name. Sometimes the lyrical themes are shrouded in eulogy-like verses as shown in Murder In The City, with phrases like, If I get murdered in the city / Don't go revenging in my name / One person dead from such is plenty / No need to go get locked away / When I leave your arms the things I think of / No need to get over alarmed / I'm coming home.

The Avett Brothers latest release The Second Gleam brings to the table melodically plowed acoustics weaving around the cushiony vocal slopes of Scott Avett with finely designed needlework. Their songs illuminate the band's free spirit and countrified style of folk-pop. The Avett Brothers album symbolizes Americana music in one of it's finest forms and brings it into the pop forum.

Underjoggle
    My friend can't stop listening to "Emotionalism", so maybe I should check these guys out.
    phillyguitar
    yeah i love emotionalism, haven't gotten ahold of the new album yet but a very talented group
    ESCunningham
    Hey man good review, but just to clear something up, Rick Rubin didn't produce this record. He's working on their full length major label debut.
    madefortvmovie
    did you review the right album? rick rubin didnt produce the album, "die die die" and "swept away" aren't even on this album... "die, die, die" is on Emotionalism, and "swept away" is on Mignonette Moreover, The Gleam ep's are just scott and seth doing their thing... clearly you reviewed a downloaded version of the record and didnt pay attention to the actual facts
    Avettlover1
    These guys are phenominal. I can't explain how much their music really means. there is so much to them. And the other uys are right, rick rubin is doing their new album, "Die Die Die" is on Emotionalism, and "Swept Away" is on Mignonette. the albums are great, but to get the full experience, you must see them live. I wouldn't call them folk-pop, they are pretty much uncatigorizable. But if you must, I'd go with progressive blue-grass. insane vocals, seemingly simplistic, yet beautiful and complex instumentals, mind-blowing lyrics, and energetic live perfomances make these guys my favorite band ever!