Rock Of Ages Review

The Band: Rock Of Ages
Release Date: Aug 15, 1972
Label: Capitol
Genres: Rock & Roll, Country-Rock, Folk-Rock
Released on the heels of the stilted, static Cahoots, the double-album Rock of Ages occupies a curious yet important place in Band history.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Rock Of Ages Reviewed by: jackjack17, on january 07, 2008

Sound: The Band has always been an awesome band, but what made it the cream of the crop when all the other bands (at this time the British Invasion tours of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones in the mid sixties) was there sound. What I mean by this is there recording quality, and there way they put it all together. This the Rock Of Ages, being a live recording CD, has some of the best Live sounds I have ever heard. // 10

Lyrics: The Singer skills are well, lets just say Levon Helm would not be Americans Idol. But what make them awesome (what I think) is the way they put there heart and soul into the song. Rick Danko, who was bass player and singer, was the same way. For Example in "The Weight". when it's his time to sing he puts all his emotion, and pours it out. Rick Danko (as Robbie Robertson says "I think Rick was one of the greatest and most soulful singers I've ever heard. Definitely, the most original bass player I've ever heard, and one of the kindest hearts to have ever graced this planet"). // 8

Overall Impression: Some of the most impressive songs I have ever heard, are on this album. Like "The Shape I'm In" probably has the most funky bass line I have ever heard. Just everything in this album seems right on. If your into old school '70s rock, this is definetly the CD you should buy. // 9

Comments