A Hard Day's Night review by The Beatles

• Released: Jan 1, 1964
The Beatles: A Hard Day's Night

A Hard Day's Night is regarded as The Beatles' first classic. The seven songs from side 1 were featured in the United Artists movie - wait for it - "A Hard Day's Night". The third album The Beatles recorded has the best production and sound out of the first 3. Although the actually musical style didn't change much, there is a different feel to this album compared to "Please Please Me" and "With The Beatles". For the first time, every song on the album was written by Lennon and McCartney. Also note that it was the first album recorded on a 4-track recorder.

As usual The Beatles don't go wrong at all in this department, A Hard Day's Night possibly contains the best vocals yet, with the stunning harmony in "If I Fell" and very clever lyric ideas in "Can't Buy Me Love" and "A Hard Day's Night". Also, the harmony in "I'll Be Back" completely makes the song and brilliantly closes the album (And The Beatles really know how to end an album!). All Beatles with the exception of Ringo (unfortunately) have lead vocal roles on the album. John takes lead on "I Should Have Known Bette" and "I'll Cry Instead", Paul sings lead in "And I Love Her" and "Things We Said Today" and George takes center stage on "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You".

As I said earlier, many people regard this as The Beatles' first classic, and I wouldn't blame anyone for having that opinion, however, I prefer the first two albums simply because their structure and tone, and I know a lot of people will say that the tone is the same, but I think the feel of the album is slightly different. I still think A Hard Day's Night is a brilliant album though, with songs like "A Hard Day's Night", "You Can't Do That" and "I'll Be Back". I would recommend it to anyone looking for an early classic. If it were stolen or lost I would be in HMV tomorrow re-buying it. A good 8 out of 10 at least.