Abbey Road review by The Beatles

• Released: Sep 26, 1969
The Beatles: Abbey Road

While this isn't my favorite of the Beatles CDs (that award goes to the amazingly brilliant Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band), it's definitely my second-favorite and has some elements I wish Sgt. Pepper's had had. Namely: a serious look at the world- while Sgt. Pepper's was clearly written during a very drug-induced period, Abbey Road is more clear and focused and I can personally "relate" to the music better. Although the music is mostly rock, some songs branch off in different directions (Something, Because), but mostly stay true to the rock formula, while still keeping you interested. Some songs just make you go "What the #*^%?" (Sun King), but are just weird enough to be cool. I Want You (She's So Heavy) is just one of the greatest songs ever written.

The lyrics are, for lack of a better word, ...random. Songs like "You Never Give Me Your Money" and "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" are so strange they're good. It's typical Beatles stuff, not as flat-out deranged as anything on Sgt. Pepper's but not as concrete as anything on Rubber Soul.

Having only heard four Beatles albums, I'd have to say this is almost on par with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, but that album is BARELY better. The two are very different and hard to compare though, so draw your own conclusions. All the songs here are amazing, and I hate absolutely nothing about it. If it was lost or stolen I'd buy it again without a second thought. If you're gonna buy your first Beatles album, this is definitely a good place to start.