Help! review by The Beatles

• Released: Aug 6, 1965
The Beatles: Help!

"Help!" is the Beatle's transitional LP and their nod to the 1965 folk-rock craze. It finds John Lennon's moods continue to darken, and his two confessional songs here are among the albums' strengths. Paul brings a few good pop songs as well as the most famous pop song bar none. We also have George return to the song writing game. Many people do see this album as being on the other side of a divide with Rubber soul, which directly followed it, but it is truly a transition toward the complexity and maturity that characterized that work. from the opening plea of the title track to the booming "Ticket To Ride" through "Yesterday" this is an enjoyable album and a step toward ever bigger things for the Fab Four.

As far lyrics go, Help features some of the weakest the band would put out, (and that is very relative) but these are luckily balanced out by a few absolute classics. Yesterday, the title track, and ticket to ride all hit #1 on at least one side of the atlantic, and along with "hide your love away" are all deserving of adulation. The rest of the material, while mostly far better than what others where putting out, is not exemplary. "I Need You", "The Night Before", and "Lose That Girl" are very good, but a notch below the others mentioned. "You Like Me Too Much", "Tell Me What You See", and "Another Girl" all suffer, either from mediocre lyrics (the first 2), or a bad concept ("Girl"). It's only love isn't the most complex song lyrically, but fares a little better. "I've Just Seen A Face" is an acoustic song in the folk style, whose tempo and harmonies suggest a country influence as well. As for the covers, "Act Naturally" provided another successful vehicle for Ringo, while "dizzy miss lizzie" was another John screamed larry williams tune. Overall out of 14 tracks that's maybe 8 or 9 that are outstanding. Only with the Beatles could that be construed as disappointing! Johns voice turns up rough here on many tracks, but that only heightens the dylan influence on "Hide" "It's Only", etc. the acoustic nature of much of the album (indeed, 3 are totally unplugged) brings out more subtle inflections in the voices and playing of the group (perhaps with an amiable exception for Ringo).

Help! was the last beatle album to feature covers and any hint of their early merseybeat style. It isn't as consistent or as polished as Rubber Soul, and the folk rock style certainly places this album in the summer of '65. This one certainly falls in the middle of the pack as far as rating their albums, but it's cache of classics and assortment of shimmering pop and folk rock make it a must-own even for the non beatlemaniac.

stratmaster100
    Ya, Yesterday is not country! I wouldn't say that this is John Lennon at the peak with the beatles, because he wrote great songs throughout his time in the beatles. And you can't really compare his early material to his later, because they are completely different style.
    RokkGuitarist50
    I grew up with this album glued to me I love basically every single song on this album, and btw, it sounds absolutely EPIC if you play this album, straight through to rubber soul, and the revolver.! xD
    RokkGuitarist50
    RokkGuitarist50 wrote: I grew up with this album glued to me I love basically every single song on this album, and btw, it sounds absolutely EPIC if you play this album, straight through to rubber soul, then revolver.! xD
    MikeDee
    7.7 ? this is one of the best records ever made and by far beatles's most underrated album. Every song is top notch, the whole album features simple yet amazing production unlike their next albums which were over produced (paul mccartney admitted this himself).