Love review by The Beatles

• Released: Nov 21, 2006
The Beatles: Love

The Beatles' new album, "Love", is a brilliant compilation of remixes of classic tunes, produced by Sir George Martin, along with his son Giles. Since, 1962, George Martin has produced arguably the finest catalog of music ever composed by a single group. Utilizing tracks from various songs, George and Giles had the rare opportunity to take the master tapes from Abbey Road studios and mix and match them as necessary, coming up with amazing new tracks that provide a different look on these timeless tracks. On some tracks (like "Help!" for example), not much is done to alter the original recording, yet this classic tune, as well as all the others on the album, are of superb quality, newly remastered. The two surviving members, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, supported the idea, along with Olivia Harrison and Yoko Ono, who all saw the idea as an awesome way to provide a new perspective to these wonderful songs. The album is also a soundtrack to a new Las Vegas-based Cirque de Soleil play.

Well, of course, it's The Beatles. I don't need to convince you these are some of the finest lyrics as well as the greatest singing performances of our time. From the pyschadelic, LSD-influenced period from about 1967-1969 as well as the Brit-Pop genre that made them the most popular band in the world, from 1962-1965 (which ultimately came to an end at the 1965 release of "Rubber Soul", often viewed as their 'transitional' album), these is a fine collection of some of the greatest songs you'll hear. One thing to be noticed, is that the track selection focuses on their latter years. However, with the murder of John Lennon in December 1980 at the hands of crazed fan Mark David Chapman, as well as George Harrison's passing in 2001, no new material has been produced by the Beatles as a group. So, for most, there won't be any new material here, pardoning the extraordinarily odd track "Gnik Nus", (coincidentally the only song I don't plan on listening to several times).

Needless to say, this album bears many astounding aspects, rarely found in albums being released today. It is a wonderful compilation of newly remixed versions of some of the best songs of all time. My personal favorite moments on the album would have to include the "Hey Bulldog" jam in the interlude of "Lady Madonna" and the remastered, newly produced version of George Harrison's demo of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". If it were stolen or lost, there's no doubt in my mind that I, along with anyone else who has heard it, would purchase the album again. This CD is perfect for anyone who has worn all of the Beatles' albums to death, and is looking for something new to check out.

Gein
    I'm glad Liam and Noel Gallagher didn't review this. Loved the album.
    jaxtheaxe
    my first impression was its great but its sorta turned into a disapointment could have been more radical with the changes in my oppinion
    Gojira16
    I'm don't usually like when albums/artists music is re-released, but this album is awesome. I love it. Its not a repackaging or crappy remix trying to make something old sound new or trying to get more money out of something already available. Any Beatles fan should love this, or if you are introducing someone (who must live in a cave) to the Beatles, this would be perfect.
    "Tele" Steve
    lazyboat wrote: liam and noel love the beatles but just think that this is not worth doing and everyone who loves the beatles already has their albums which i kinda agree with
    But it's not just a repackaging of old songs. It's a remix album with a very interesting twist because George and Giles Martin didn't add anything. They basically cut up Beatles songs and put them back together differently. This album really shows how layered the band's sound was and how The Beatles were really the ultimate studio band. Would I say these tracks are better than the originals? Probably not, but the point isn't really to improve the songs because they don't need improving.
    Jesse Nouveau
    It sounds absolutely great. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", "Abbey Road" and "The White Album" are among my 25 favorite albums of all time. Because of that, I'm definitely checking this out.
    HeavyLedMetal
    I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but I loved the album.It exposed me to the Beatles in a way I never thought possible.I plan on getting some more of there original albums now.
    Dabarro
    Gein wrote: I'm glad Liam and Noel Gallagher didn't review this.
    Their review: "Roovish". LOL. Loved the album too.
    Sgt. Pepper
    Sgt. Pepper wrote: STand-outs have got to be the idea of putting the tabla groove from 'Within You, Without You' and putting it under sweet child of mine. Not keen on starting on the putting the G7sus4 on the start of 'Get BAck'.
    I was listening to sweet child there, meant to say putting the tabla groove onto 'Here Comes the Sun' Idiot
    Sgt. Pepper
    lazyboat
    papersun87
    I'm excited to hear this new take on the classic legendary songs. The all-acapella "Because" sounds like it will be amazing.
    benjamin_coombs
    I find it pretty funny how liam and noel could hate on the new beatles album so much since there entire sound came from the beatles. as for the album i thought it was an incredible, new spin on the old beatles songs that i love. the only problem now is decieding which version of the song i want to listen to.
    METSOAD
    i heard the remix of "While my guitar gently weeps" on the radio over the weekend, it was intresting