Please Please Me review by The Beatles

• Released: Apr 26, 1963
The Beatles: Please Please Me

Please Please Me! This debut album is what started it all for The Beatles. Paul starts off the album with a "1-2-3-4" which leads right into the first song, "I Saw Her Standing There". You can literally feel the energy of the music when this first song starts. "Twist and Shout" (orgianlly written by Phil Medley and Bert Russell) and "I Saw Her Standing There" are definitely the two songs that stand out the most when I think about this album. Both of these songs are just packed full of energy and have that good old rock n' roll feel. The songs on this album were pretty simple. The guitars were mostly being strummed, but Harrison does throw a nice guitar solo in some songs. Lennon being rhythm guitar player also took part in playing the harmonica in the songs "Please Please Me" and "Love Me Do", which really gave those songs a distinct Beatles sound. Ringo kept the drums rather simple but certainly did his job by keeping a steady beat for the band. The Beatles covered quite a few songs on this album; Twist and Shout, A Taste of Honey, Baby It's You, Boys, Chains And Anna (Go To Him). The Beatles really put their own twist on all these song, and made them their own.

I thought the lyrics on this album were great. Most songs focusing on love. Whether it be from losing love, missing love or wanting love. The music and the lyrics all fit in really nice together. The majority of the Beatles orginal songs were written by Lennon and McCartney. John and Paul also did most of the singing on this album as well. They were both really good singers and both sounded great together. Personally I think all the Beatles had very good singing skills. George mostly sang back up vocals but he did sing the lead vocals in "Do You Want to Know a Secret". George really did a terrific job on these vocals, and in my opinion should have sung more lead vocals. Ringo Starr got some time in the spotlight singing lead vocals in the cover song "Boys". Ringo definitely has a much different sound to his voice compared to the rest of the Beatles but nevertheless did a magnificent job singing. I think Ringo has a good voice despite what a lot of other people think.

All in all this was a beautifully constructed album. It's certainly not my favorite Beatles album but it's definitely a must have for any and all Beatle fans. Though the Beatles sound really changed throughout the years this is where it all started. I'd definitely buy the album again if it were ever lost or stolen.

aig91
    This is a great album. I have it and would definitely recommend it. Nice review btw. The only one (so far) for this album