Please Please Me review by The Beatles

• Released: Apr 26, 1963
The Beatles: Please Please Me

10 of the 14 tracks on this album were recorded in just over 9 hours, it was nothing short of throwing an album together, but still, they did a great job. As raw and vibrant as a Beatles album will get, it still amazes me just how well they made the album in such a short space of time. The sound quality isn't anything spectacular, but what do you expect from something made in 1963? However, the new remastered version sounds a lot more full and has slightly better quality.

All four Beatles sing on this album, Ringo sings lead in ''Boys'', George sings lead in ''Do You Want To Know A Secret'' and John and Paul do the rest. Paul does a fine job on all of his songs, including ''I Saw Her Standing There'', ''A Taste of Honey'' and ''P.S. I Love You. John sings ''Anna (Go To Him)'', ''Baby it's You'' and, probably one of the greatest vocal performances ever recorded, ''Twist and Shout''. John and Paul powerfully sing in harmony for a lot of the songs, notably ''Love Me Do'' and ''There's a Place''. The lyrics and singing are excellent on this album, 10 out of 10.

It doesn't live up to the other Beatles albums later on in their career, but it is still a great listen. 14 fine songs squeezed into a half-hour album. The three most impressive songs are ''I Saw Her Standing There'', ''Love Me Do'' and ''Twist and Shout''. I love this album because it is just a good mood from start to finish, great listening yet incredibly raw. I thought there was only one let down on the album, ''A Taste of Honey'', it's sounds like it was just thrown on to make the album longer. If I lost this album, I would be down at the record store the next day buying it again. Definately a must-have for Beatles fans.

gbeatle
    Good reviews on a great debut album of the best band ever. Note: George also sang the lead in "Chains".