Rubber Soul review by The Beatles

• Released: Dec 3, 1965
The Beatles: Rubber Soul

The Beatles were one of the greatest rock groups for a reason, and one of the main reasons was because of the great, almost magical melodies that they would come up with. This album is jam packed with great melodies and harmonies. The music is simple, and that's the way it should be. The music is very catchy. It's very happy-go-lucky. It's melancholy at times. It's beautiful. It's not hard rock at all. The guitars are barely distorted. This album draws its life from catchy melodies over simple yet appropriate guitar parts. This album was released way back in 1965. During this time, the influences of groups like the Byrds as well as Dylan were strong. However, this album was more dynamic than that. It didn't really fit the folk rock sound of the time. It is more of a classic rock album. The album has various sounds, but is overall a light, pop rock masterpiece. As far as innovation goes, this album rose above all the inluential music of 1965 (Dylan, The Byrds, James Brown, The Stones, The Beach Boys, etc) and set the standard for all rock music to come after it. Overall, the album has more of a rock sound than the Beatles earlier hits (I Want To Hold Your Hand, Love Me Do, etc) but isn't quite at the psychadelic stages of the late '60s.

Lyrically, the album is a materpiece. Lennon and McCartney really hit it off well. They wrote great pop rock songs, such classics as Drive My Car and You Won't See Me. However, more forward-thinking thinking compositions can be heard in "Nowhere Man" and "I'm Looking Through You." They show a great knack for writing deeper songs. The lyrics fit the mood of the music perfectly. Actually the music fits the lyrical theme perfectly. As far as the singing is executed, McCartney and Lennon do the honors quite well to say the least. Three part harmonies are sung beautifully on many occasions.

This album has more of a rock feel than the Beatle's previous, lovey dovey releases. However, this album hasn't shown the psychadelic sounds yet either. My personal Favorites are "Drive My Car" and "In My Life." Those are the songs that impress me the most, although almost every song is groundbreaking and impressive. I really don't hate anything about the album, and I love the vocal harmonies the best. It's something that can't be done better than by the Beatles. If I lost this, I would definitely buy it again. Do yourself a favor and get this album, no matter what knid of music you like.