Rubber Soul review by The Beatles

• Released: Dec 3, 1965
The Beatles: Rubber Soul

This album has a very folky feel, much different than their previous works. Much of the album has an acoustic base with flowing, poppy melodies. The thumping Beatle sound is present, but this time in a CCR-like package. Even the electric guitar songs flow like the water in a forest stream. By all means, it does not sound like CCR, but it does sound like what would happen if the Beatles wanted to sit down and really think about their music, and less about who they were writing it for.

The lyrics sang in this album range from relationships, to loneliness, to thoughts of the government. a lot of the lyrics are obviously fillers, including the entirety of What Goes On, but the rest are very deep and senstive. The singing is superb, with harmonies rapping around the words like ribbons. The melodies are better than the lyrics themselves.

I love this album. It shows the evolution of one of the best bands in the world. I could listen to it in it's entirety, or a few songs at a time. If I lost it, I would buy it again. Rubber Soul shows what was going on at the time, and, depending on what's going on in your life, it'll make you feel better.

zeatle
    it is the best beatle album, the only other one that comes close is magical mystery....
    NowhereGirl9
    This was my first Beatles record I got. I can stare at the cover forever and not get tired of it. The way John just stares at you is captivating and mesmerizing. And the songs are amazing too. This album is definitely one of my absolute favorites (along with "A Hard Day's Night", "The White Album" and "Revolver").
    Jon777