Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band review by The Beatles

• Released: Jun 1, 1967
The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

From the grinding guitar on "Sgt. Pepper" to the melancholy strings on "She's Leaving Home" to the eastern instruments on "Within You Without You" Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band is filled with new sounds that just beg to be listened to. This album was recorded at the height of the Beatles experimentation, they had just finished their work on Revolver and used the new techniques they were experimenting with on that album to their full effects on Sgt. Pepper. Overall the sound on this album is like nothing ever heard before, they took Revolver and with Sgt. Pepper they perfected the sounds they were looking for. You have everything for Rock, Psychedellic, Eastern and even some Carnival music added in for good taste in this album, it really defined the sound the Beatles were looking for and ended up perfecting in their latter albums.

The whole concept of this album was for the Beatles to not be the Beatles. They took on the alias Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, thus the title song and it's reprise and Billy Shear's in "With A Little Help From My Friends" (Yea Billy Shears is Ringo). By not being the Beatles on this album it allowed John, Paul and George to be free and write and play whatever they had wanted to. This create lyrically superb songs like "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds." It was inspired by a picture John Lennon's son Julian brought home from school about his friend Lucy. Probably some LSD too but Lennon always denied it. Then you have "Fixin a Hole" a McCartney track that is filled with psychedellic lyrics. "Getting Better", "When I'm 64" and "Lovely Rita" are some of Paul's more typical songs. "When I'm 64" kind of pales in comparison to the other tracks on this album unfortunatly, it's a really good song but it kind of falls out of place on this album. "She's Leaving Home" another McCartney track presents a rather sad situation about life not going as planned. It shows that Paul doesn't only write happy songs, think "Long and Winding Road". Then you have "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" a song that was written by John who was insired by a 1860s carnival Poster, that just goes to show how he could take anything and make it into an amazing song. The album finishes off with some of my favorite songs, you have the Lennon penned "Good Morning, Good Morning" which reminds me of an average day to say the least. Then the reprise and one of my all time favorite songs "A Day In The Life" This song is actually two songs in one. Lennon wrote the beginning and the end and Paul wrote the middle. Paul's part was an unfinished song he was working on and they decided to stick in in between John's two halves seperated by a 24 bar orchestra crecesndo in E. To even begin to think of how they thought of it gives me a headache. Amazing is one word I like to used when thinking of the lyrics in this album. Even George had "Within You Without You" a song he wrote influenced heavily by eastern concepts and music. The music was recorded in India by George and Jeff Lynne (who he later played with in the Traveling Wilburys and who also produced the two new Beatles singles, ELO and the vocals were recorded at Abbey Road during the Pepper sessions. As amazing of lyricist's that the Beatles were they also proved that they could sing just as good as they could write. Even Ringo pitched in to sing "With a Little Help From My Friends". You have to love Ringo haha, all the Beatles vocals fit their songs perfectly.

I absolutely love this album, everything about it is influential and it is truely one of the greatest albums ever to be recorded. But is it the best Beatles album? Rubber Soul and on will all recieve 10's from me so it's kind of hard, while Sgt. Pepper deserves all praise it gets Rubber Soul marked the Beatles departure from radio friendly pop music to more lyrically and muscially sophisticated music. Revolver took it one step further, as did Sgt. Pepper, The Beatles (White Album), Let it Be (it was recorded before Abbey Road but released afterwards) and ultimatley Abbey Road. I keep Magical Mystery Tour with Sgt. Pepper since most of the songs were suppossed to be on Pepper anyways. But to sum it all up, this album is amazing and a must for any person who enjoys music at any level. But it's just scratching the surface on the Beatles, check out all their albums, from Please Please Me to Let It Be their is a certain aura surrounding all of the Beatles work, and once you start your hooked, so enjoy!

ChemicalFire
    Would like to point out, that Lucy in the Sky isn't about LSD, as stated in the Beatles Anthology
    wildchild6660
    zero27 wrote: Jesse Nouveau wrote: It's #1 on the list of Rolling Stone magazine's "Top 100 Albums of All Time" actually... I'm pretty sure it's #11 and "Revolver" is #1.....(sorry bud) What more needs to be said?
    No this is 1#. But the Rolling Stone mag's lists are all ****ed up. Just look at their 100 greatest guitarists list. Jimi is No. 1, but from there onwards, the list falls apart.