The Beatles 1 review by The Beatles

• Released: Nov 14, 2000
The Beatles: The Beatles 1

This album is a compilation of 27 number one singles. The CD goes through these songs chronlogically of when they were released and intelligently portrays a good portion of the beatles career. It's a good album to give to someone who's never listened to the Beatles, because it gives a taste of their entire career, versus just their early work or their later work.

The lyrics become more complex and more developed along with the music as you go through the CD. Their early work is very early rock and roll sounding with simple lyrics and choruses. The later songs are structered more intricately, and the lyrics reflect that. The vocals are always good throughout the album, but the band pushes themselves to their musical limits towards the end of the album. In their later work they really had developed a unique sound and their voices were better than ever.

This album does not at all compare to their other albums. To fully get a feel for the Beatles, listen to all of their work, not just a greatest hits type CD. The song that impresses me most on this album is definitely "Hey Jude," a song written for Julian Lennon while his father John Lennon and his mother Cynthia Lennon were getting a divorce. Paul McCartney's vocals are great on this song, and the message of the song is an inspiring one.

salrap10
    ahh this album is nostalgic for me. i remember back in 2000 when i was 7, i bought this album when it first came out. this is what got me into music and into the beatles.
    Battery Chicken
    I never rated 1, it's a hits album, which unfortunately skips past the most important music the Beatles produced. I would recommend Love to anyone looking to get a picture of what the Beatles were really about. If you're just after the iconic 'mop top' tracks, then this is for you.