Amorica review by The Black Crowes

• Released: Jan 1, 1994
The Black Crowes: Amorica

My first impression was that the band was having a rough time and where definetly fighting. Now having said that it's not a bad record at all. This is a very good record actually. This CD was very controversial when it came out with the cover showing a women wearing a american flag as panties. This is a very underrated CD and is a must have. It was very well produced with the solos flying, Chris Robinsons voice is amazign as always and the whole band is firing on all cylinders. On this album there is a couple ballads but they aren't cheesy at all, they are very beautiful with some very mellow then they pick up. Some of the songs sound very hate filled and you can tell the band was coming apart, but what surprises me the most is that the music didn't suffer. a lot of people don't like this album because there wasn't a hit single which didn't bother me. but it's an amazing record a must have.

The lyrics are always great, in my opinon Chris Robinson is one of the best lyric writers of all time. He is up there with the greats. Some songs talk about past relationships ending badly, like in the song "non fiction" it's very spiteful the lyric "And if we had a child I would like a son and not a daughter, 'cause she would be just like you, and that will not do." The song "Cursed Diamond" is a very well written song, he sings about himself saying he isnt perfect and nobody is but he's almost saying it's okay. "Wiser Time" is a very well writtens ong also, what I'm trying to say is the songs are very well written, in terms of lyrics. Chris's vocals are very soulful, like you know he's seen the blues, it sounds amazing as ever kinda raspy but in a good way. The lyrics go with the music very well and this album is very easy go listen too.

For comparing this album, it is very bluesy, but you can hear that they are into folkish bluesy stuff. Having said that they are very rock n roll too, and have this great sound. I'm always blown away when I listen too it because you always discover something new. I would recommend this to anyone that likes classic rock like The Stones and Zeppelin. My favorite songs are A Conspiracy, Wiser Time, She Gave Good Sunflower, Cursed Diamond and Ballad In Urgency. The whole album shines though and is very experimental Rich Robinson and Marc Ford have very good chemistry as guitarists. I just love everything about this album. If you like "Shake Your Moneymaker" and "The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion" I would recommend giving this a try. If it where stolen I would probably cry then I'd kill the ass whole stole it, then buy it again.

mlock2k
    One good thing to come for his divorce will be the lyrics that will follow. We will soon know why they divorced.
    guitarwhiz234
    Yah man im looking forward to the new album , but i think they need marc ford back on gutar again.
    guitaluva15
    someone should review southern harmony!!! its their best album!!! maybe i'll do it.