Shake Your Money Maker review by The Black Crowes

• Released: Mar 5, 2002
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
The Black Crowes: Shake Your Money Maker

There is nothing really new and exciting in terms of sound on this album. This was the Crowes' debut, and they came out of the gate running with high energy rock and roll reminiscent of The Rolling Stones and The Faces. Influenced by folk musician Nick Drake, rhythm guitarist and primary songwriter Rich Robinson made use of open tunings on many of the tracks on this album, and while the compositions are not exactly intricate, there is no doubt that there is a good deal of solid blues rock to be found. That said, I'm not too impressed with the mix of the album. I think it sounds a little sterile overall, especially when compared to the band's sophomore effort- The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion -which is about as raw and full of life as you could hope for from a blues rock album.

While not exactly the highlight of Chris Robinson's lyrical career, there are some definite standouts, such as Sister Luck, Seeing Things, and She Talks To Angels. His vocal performance, however, is very strong throughout, with the aforementioned Sister Luck and Seeing Things regarded by some as two of the best vocal performances of his career.

Overall, Shake Your Money Maker is a solid debut album. Despite the fact that there are a lot of good songs on this album, I still believe that it falls in the middle of the pack when compared to the rest of the band's career, namely the stellar run of albums that they would release over the next few years. The standouts in my opinion are Sister Luck, Could I've Been So Blind, Seeing Things, and Stare It Cold, with an honorable mention going to my personal favorite song on the album- Struttin' Blues.