The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion review by The Black Crowes

• Released: May 12, 1992
The Black Crowes: The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion

The opening riff of "Sting Me" kicks off the album, and lets you know that The Black Crowes are a down and dirty southern rock and roll band. On this album, they mix many genres of music including blues, country, and good old rock and roll. It reached number 1 on the Billboard Charts, but that don't matter too much because to The Black Crowes, it's all about the music. This is probally my favorite album to listen to while driving. Stand out tracks are the ballad, "Thorn In My Pride", the bluesy "Bad Luck blue Eyes Goodbye", and my favorite, the Bob Marley cover, "Time Will Tell". Also, on this album there are some very good, soulful, female, back up singers. They sort of hold all the songs together. And you can't ignore Marc Fords legendary riffs.

The lyrics seem to heavily reflect on love or having your heart broken. The lyrics seem very deep and meaningful and often they'll give me chills because they're lyrics everyone can relate to. There's not a whole lot of "hey what does that mean?" The Crowes are very down to earth and I think that is a great quality to have for a rock and roll band. Chris Robinson has a great voice and it really emphasizes the words. And to qoute Sting Me "If you feel like a riot, then don't you deny it!"

This album's sound is very similar to Exile on Main St., but this album blows it away. Like I said before, my favorite track is Time Will Tell. The only thing I dislike about this album is that the songs are a little long, but besides that, it's a great overall album. It's by far my favorite Black Crowes album. If your just getting into the band, go buy this album as soon as you can! If it were lost or stolen, I would without a doubt replace it!

archangelseren
    10 for everything? must be good... nothing gets ten unless its an obsessive fan who thinks anything the artist puts out is good..... unless this is one of those
    samtberg
    Agreed. This is by far the band's best album. Not a duff track on it. Whenever I play this, and there's someone whose never heard it before, they always say "Who's this? It's really good". Most underrated track: No Speak No Slave - that's a bad-ass riff!