Deflorate review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
The Black Dahlia Murder: Deflorate

This album was hard to love at first. You have to listen to the entire album all the way through to really know how you feel about it. In my opinion, its death metal at its best. By far one of the best (if not the best) death metal album of 2009. Brian uses his superior skills to create technical yet melodic riffs and beastly rythym sections behind Ryan Knight's blazing solos. John's departure shows a new direction for the band, but still keeps that classic TBDM sound. Bart's maniacal bass playing shines on this album, thundering in every track. Shannon's godly drumming does not disappoint either. Every fill fits perfectly to the riffs. He blasts his way through every song, staying tight and precise. Ryan brings something totally new to the band with a new solo style. John's classic Minor Scale solo's were good but Ryan coming in adds a whole new perspective.

Trevor is one of the best vocalists in the metal scene today. His growls knock you on your ass and his high screams kick you while your down. His lyrics are brutal and vicious from the 1st song to the last. His imagery with songs like Christ Deformed, Death Panorama, and I Will Return show superior descriptive skill. When you listen to a song while reading the lyrics, you can picture what hes talking about like it was a book. He uses Science Fiction multiple times in the album but its still not overused. One song, however, its difficult to tell what the song is about. "Throne of Lunacy" is a great song but the meaning of the song is unclear. His use of Satanic shock lyrics shows the darker, evil side of the band. They breathe new life into death metal by taking classic themes and making them better. The vocals flow with the music, especially in the chorus of "Black Valor". His word choice is very good as well. The way he words his sentences makes it sound even more brutal.

This album, like I said before, is by far one of the best metal albums of 2009. The album was pretty high on a lot of "Billboard Top" charts, landing No. 5 on one of them. This band deserves a lot more credit than some people give them. Being labeled as "metalcore" does not do the band any justice. Their skill is far above that of metalcore. Not bashing metalcore (I like a lot of metalcore bands) but TBDM doesn't fit in that category. They are a true death metal band, evolving with every album. This band has a very promising future. I loved every song on the album. No disappointments at all. The best songs were Necropolis, Christ Deformed, Death Panorama, That Which Erodes the Most Tender, and I Will Return. Not a single bad song. If I lost this cd, I would go out of my way to buy it again. I recommend to anyone that has not listened to this band, to listen to them as soon as possible. This band: one of the best death metal bands in existance.