Majesty [DVD] review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: May 12, 2009
  • Content: 7
  • Production Quality: 8
The Black Dahlia Murder: Majesty [DVD]

Outside of a few exceptions (Pantera, we love you!), it used to be that a heavy metal home video/DVD was usually no more than a hastily taped concert and some weak interview footage tacked on for justification sake. Recent DVDs from Cannibal Corpse, Black Label Society, and Lacuna Coil have proven that the genre's respect for the medium has come a long way. The Black Dahlia Murder's new Majesty' double DVD set is proof that bands now know that they have to step their game up to sell these babies! If there was ever a band perfectly tailored for this kind of package, it's these Michigan troublemakers.

Content — 7
From the start of the first disc included here, BDM's down-to-earth attitude becomes obviously apparent. The members give their various outlooks on the touring lifestyle, the band's hectic history, and their dedication to extreme metal lifestyle. All of the hallmarks you would expect are here. You get drunken antics, tour footage, naked groupiesOK maybe not the latter but you get the picture. The live content is top-notch. Instead of focusing on one concert or even one venue per song, each track is a compilation of various performances. Think of it like one of those live videos you see for a single but with actual live audio behind it. The ending result is something as frenzied and kinetic as BDM's live shows truly are.

Production Quality — 8
Directed by Robbie Tassaro with gorgeous artwork from Joe Petagno (Motorhead), Metal Blade Records have not spared any expense with Majesty.' The footage, while collected from various performances, is sharp and the band's technical death metal pyrotechnics come jabbing out of the speakers with blistering yet crystal clear quality. The guitars sound especially great with every intricate flourish cutting through the final mix. Anyone already familiar with the band knows how fast they play so getting such a masterful audio blend is worth the praise.

Unlike the recent As I Lay Dying DVD, Majesty' doesn't do an exhaustive job of laying out the blueprint of BDM's career but this is a different type of band. Their music and lyrics are brutal, fiercely intense, and unflinchingly violent but their personalities are anything but. Actually, the documentary side of this double disc set finds a band who doesn't take themselves all that seriously and that's refreshing. The death metal world is serious enough as it is without a bunch of heavy-handed posturing. Watching 5 dudes having the time of their lives playing music is inspiring. Musically speaking, the live footage shows us the band definitely have the world-class chops to justify their growing audience. Songs like Funeral Thirst and Deathmask Divine channel the best attributes of tech-thrash and Scandinavian melodic death metal and vocalist Trevor Strnad leads the charge with a devilish growl. He's one of the best in his genre as you'll see throughout Majesty.' With all of these underground groups releasing such tremendous DVDs, we're all in for countless hours on our couches.

israels_son
    The one thing i hate more than anything on a live DVD is when all the footage is from different shows over one audio track. I hate it so much. That made me not buy this. BDM are awesome though.
    Marshall Lead12
    Gods_child wrote: xdan666x wrote: i fought this dvd was awesome and i have watched it several times already!! You my friend are a mean man, NO FIGHTING WITH DVDS!! PERIOD!!
    Haha wtf.
    mafoogles
    this was an amazing dvd, the documentary was great, and the live performance was top notch. everyone at the top was saying that the kind of live thing they did is "rarley good", rarley meaning the off time it is, and this is one of those times
    TheReverend724
    i love this dvd the sign on jazzy jeffs door was priceless "we dont look at buttholes on black dahlia murder tours. we smoke pot, we drink beer, and we sleep. WE SLEEP LIKE MEN! WE SLEEP LIKE MEN!" lol
    huevos
    Music as serious as a heart attack? Are we talking about the same band here? As soon as you listen to them, you know that those guys are really goofy party animals. Sure, they may take the technical aspect* of their songs seriously, but they never get absorbed into that self-righteousness that a good number of other bands do. That's why their awesome. They do it for the music and having a good time. I'm thinking of getting this, but then again, I might as well go see them on the Mayhem tour. Their live shows are awesome.
    rasveer
    you guys need to see the RU36 dvd now thats some awesome shit right there even though its about an hour long its ****ing amazing
    akedia101
    hahahhahahahahjajajajjajajagagaggagagagchachachachachachacha chachachachachacha
    Gods_child
    You my friend are a mean man, NO FIGHTING WITH DVDS!! PERIOD!!
    jonnowev
    I'm a massive fan of this band, but I agree with the guy above that the way that the live recording is presented sounds terrible. Much rather have had a full set.
    xdan666x
    i fought this dvd was awesome and i have watched it several times already!!
    metalvinny
    I love this dvd and the audio sounds amazing. I don't know what those other people are talking about.
    GuidoPP
    they play so awesome live! it's like they're on the studio all over again. they can't be from this world, all that partying and still play so good!
    CtrlZ
    The documentary is hilarious even for non-fans, I was suprised how good the editing was and the little blips of dramatic music and slo-mo over the top of little random moments was classic. man i'd love to party with these guys, I probably wouldn't survive to tell about it though..
    odtpdriver
    i agree with both of the guys on the top. same songs from several preformances are rarly good. never really listened to this band before a few minutes ago but they sound awesome.
    Josherz
    LOADS of content.All music videos, Great documentary, Live songs are collage of different shows which i didn't care for.still 10!!!! go buy it already.