Majesty [DVD] Review

artist: The Black Dahlia Murder date: 12/07/2010 category: compact discs
The Black Dahlia Murder: Majesty [DVD]
Release Date: May 12, 2009
Their music might be as serious as a heart attack but that doesnt mean The Black Dahlia Murder doesnt know how to have a great time. Get an inside look into the Michigan death metal bands insane world.
 Content: 7.5
 Production Quality: 8
 8.3
 7.9
 8.6
Majesty [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 01, 2009

Sound: Outside of a few exceptions (Pantera, we love you!), it used to be that a heavy metal home video/DVD was usually no more than a hastily taped concert and some weak interview footage tacked on for justification sake. Recent DVDs from Cannibal Corpse, Black Label Society, and Lacuna Coil have proven that the genre's respect for the medium has come a long way. The Black Dahlia Murder's new Majesty' double DVD set is proof that bands now know that they have to step their game up to sell these babies! If there was ever a band perfectly tailored for this kind of package, it's these Michigan troublemakers. // 8

Overall Impression: Unlike the recent As I Lay Dying DVD, Majesty' doesn't do an exhaustive job of laying out the blueprint of BDM's career but this is a different type of band. Their music and lyrics are brutal, fiercely intense, and unflinchingly violent but their personalities are anything but. Actually, the documentary side of this double disc set finds a band who doesn't take themselves all that seriously and that's refreshing. The death metal world is serious enough as it is without a bunch of heavy-handed posturing. Watching 5 dudes having the time of their lives playing music is inspiring. Musically speaking, the live footage shows us the band definitely have the world-class chops to justify their growing audience. Songs like Funeral Thirst and Deathmask Divine channel the best attributes of tech-thrash and Scandinavian melodic death metal and vocalist Trevor Strnad leads the charge with a devilish growl. He's one of the best in his genre as you'll see throughout Majesty.' With all of these underground groups releasing such tremendous DVDs, we're all in for countless hours on our couches. // 8

- Carlos Ramirez (c) 2009

Majesty [DVD] Reviewed by: alexbu62395, on december 07, 2010

Sound: TBDM is already a pretty sick band and this DVD is evidence of that. My only problem with this DVD though is the live performances. The performances are more montages of them playing the songs in different places and they just use the studio recordings for these. // 8

Overall Impression: TBDM can't be compared to other bands because TBDM knows how to have fun in every way. Even though this want the greatest DVD I would still buy it again if I ever lost it or had it stolen. If your a big fan of TBDM this is a definite buy but if your anything less you might want to consisder getting this dvd. // 8

Comments