Miasma review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: Jul 12, 2005
The Black Dahlia Murder: Miasma

It's a good sounding record. The riffs are great 90% of the time, and the solos are tasteful, a rarity in metal nowadays. The drummer and drumming is the only thing that brings this record down. While the drumming is usually inconspicuous and blends well with the music, sometimes it stands out and is glaringly odd sounding, like something isn't right. Not being a drummer myself, I couldn't tell you exactly what that is, but its there. Especially during the solos, and its takes away from some of them. The vocals are good from both vocalists, but it wouldve been cool if they'd have double teamed more often. The production is good, and my only quip with production is that the solo guitars are often to quiet and not bright enough.

The lyrics really, really aren't very good, but you wouldnt know it if you didn't read them. They're repetitive and meaningless, but the lyrics arent the point here.

Compared to some others, its standard fair, but the riffs are really great, and the overall sound is driving, hard, and interesting. A good metal record, and I'll probably pick up Unhallowed in the near future as well.