Miasma review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: Jul 12, 2005
The Black Dahlia Murder: Miasma

With The Black Dahlia Murder's second album release of Miasma, the sound and melody of their songs have improved greatly. The songs are a bit more melodic and not as heavy as their earlier album and demo's, but nontheless still a brutal metal assualt. With a new drummer, some of the beats sound a bit strange especially during melodic guitar parts, but still great sound. Both guitarists Brian Eschbach and John Kempainen have improved greatly in their playing skills. With intense riffs and breakdowns throughout all songs, as well as new and improved solos, the guitarwork is in all just hundreds of times better. The style of music is classified as death metal for all those who are wondering or for those who did not already guess from the name.

The lyrics on their new tracks are not as dark as they were before, but still a bit eery. With some songs I am guessing can only be about the actual Black Dahlia Murder case, they are not for the faint hearted. The music goes along perfectly with the lyrics, although I have said before sometimes the drums sound a tad akward with the guitar. The singer Trevor Strnad is exceptional ranging from higher pitched screams to the low dark growl that gives you chills. Ranging from both these styles of singing from song to song is I believe an amazing skill to accomplish.

Overall this album is an awesome follow-up to the first album "Unhallowed" although not as heavy. The most impressive tracks on this album I believe would be "Flies," "Spite Suicide" and "Miasma." All with amazing guitarwork and vocals. What I love about this album is the fact that they stayed true to their original sound but changed it for the better with a bit more melody. There is nothing I hate of this album and wouldn't change a thing besides some of the drum beats. This album does contain mature content and there are no edited versions available in stores, so as I said before, before you purchase this album be sure you are not faint of heart and that you wont get it taken away from you when you take it home.

gnoo
    Just to point out, The Black Dahlia Murder have only one vocalis who does both of the voices...