Miasma review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: Jul 12, 2005
The Black Dahlia Murder: Miasma

Definetly one of my favorites, and most anticipated album of 2005. First of all, the production on this album is much better in comparison to their first album, "Unhallowed." And one of the even better aspects of this album is the new drummer. Not to bash on the drummer from Unhallowed, but the material on "Miasma" is much more complex, but musical. The opening song, "Built For Sin" delivers a great "talk back to each other" type of tremolo guitar work. While one guitar tremolo picks a note, the other moves with a melody, and the 1st guitar then proceeds to play a continuation of the beginning melody. This moves into the next song, "I'm Charming." This song really gets moving, and there are some really stand-out riffs in this song alone. My personal favorites are track 4 "Statutory Ape" track 5 "A Vulgar Picture" and the title track, "Miasma." As an album as a whole, it's argueably leaps and bounds musicially beyond their first release "Unhallowed." If you're into death metal, please check out this record. If anything, go to their myspace and get a taste. This is a great album, and think for yourself, listen to it.

I'm not too big on the lyrics, write whatever you feel. Really, I'm listening to the vocal style and approach in accordance to the music. On this album, it's done very, very well, growls are more deeper and developed, as well as the higher pitched stuff. There is one singer in the band, and he covers a lot of ground by himself. His rhythmic placement (the rhythm in which he sings his lyrics) is great. After hearing the songs a few times, you can clearly remember the rhythm of certain parts, as well as his pitch (growling, or higher pitched). This to me (rhythmic placement of vocals) can make songs very memorable, in other words, the vocals aren't in the background, it plays a vital role in the overall effect of the music as a whole. In a nutshell, he did a great job doing vocals.

My overall impression of this album is it's going to be in cd player quite often until their next release. The real standout track for me, if I could only pick one would be "Statutory Ape." This song has some great guitar melodies that to me are dark, and what I guess could be described as "hypnotiq" (the tremolo picking in the chorus). Everything in this song is full-force, and really delivers. The guitarists really pick great harmonies (note choice) to make the melodies sound stronger, darker. This is a great death metal album, and I would suggest to anyone into metal to pick this one up.

Satan Incarnate
    I have noticed two common errors: 1) The Black Dahlia Murder only has one vocalist, as gnoo said, and 2) This is more opinion than error, but the drums complement the music almost perfectly. The more you listen to this album, the more the drums seem to fit in. Also, none of their songs have anything to do with the murder case of Elizabeth Short, known as the Black Dahlia after her death. Their music can be...odd...at times, as in the song, "A Vulgar Picture." It is about a man exhuming his dead bride, engaging in nechophilia, and then commiting suicide to lay with her in her coffin.