Miasma review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: Jul 12, 2005
The Black Dahlia Murder: Miasma

Two words. Blown away. Trevor's vocals tear through you in an oral assault. The guitar melodies are technical and add a great sound (Statutory Ape). The drums are some of the best I've heard in a long time and meld completly with the sound of the rest of the band. People may want to call this death metal, but it is mostly metalcore with a death metal influence. All the songs on the album lead into each other, with the exception of A Vulgar Picture. I'm not saying it's a bad song but if you listen to the whole album it just jumps in there. A perfect sound that enhances on Unhallowed.

Trevor is an exceptional vocalist with his highs screams and low growls. The songs have a creepier feel to them then they have on Unhallowed with songs about necrophilia and war. Some songs have worse qualit than others on the album but it doesnt't take away from the greatness of the album.

This is, in my opinion, the better of the two Black Dahlia Murder albums. It is musically superior than most bands can muster. And this is only the second album. I will be awating thier nex one (once they get a drummer). The best song on the album is byt far Statutory Ape. The fast and melodic guitars with the insanely fast drums create an instant favorite in my book. The only thing I can say that's bad is on a couple songs the vocal quality is not as good as it is on other songs. If someone stole this I would beat their face into a pulp, being careful not to get anything on the CD.

bighugejake
    thank you for telling people out there that they ONLY HAVE ONE SINGER. it annoys me when everyone says there's two!!!! and Pierre Langlois' druming is good but it's basically the same "ba ba ba ba, ba ba ba ba, ba ba ba ba, ba ba ba ba" on every 16th note for every song. but you've gotta love Brian Eschbach and John Kempainen's constant harmonized tremlo picking. it's amazingly pricise and dark sounding... Black Dahlia Rules!!
    NosferatuZodd09
    I wouldnt call Miasma metalcore at all :\... there's no goddamn breakdowns... and well no dropped tunning for the gay open-chord breakdowns so... I'd call it Death Metal/Melodic Death, listen to alot of the riffs they're pretty much death or melodic death, and well the vocal styles are certainly not 'metalcore' so yeah :\... awemazing ****ing album i must say favs Built for Sin/I'm Charming, Statuory Ape, Dave Goes to Hollywood, Miscarriage and Miasma ... as for unhallowed it was okay :S... this one has way more memorable riffs and stuff ;D lol
    Mychel x Murder
    bighugejake wrote: they overdub vocal tracks to give the effect of two singers. FYI
    I've seen them live and Strnad can pull everything off exactly as it sounds on the record.