Nocturnal review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
The Black Dahlia Murder: Nocturnal

Guitars: Brian Eschbach and John Kempainen are a marvelous guitar duo, Kempainens blistering smooth leads over Brians relentless riffs will make your head bang till your spinal chord begs for mercy! The riffs are some of TBDM's best in my oppinion, this album is an arsenal of heavy. If you like the manic fast riffs, then this album should do it for you, The solos as well are fantastic! smooth melodys or super fast shred, they are just great to listen to. Ryan "Bart" Williams is a great bass player, with solid riffs and some really cool fills, the bass acts like a machine that makes the album that much more heavier. Merciless demons surely fuel this man on his quest for heavy, amazing performance! When TBDM lost there old drummer, I was somewhat dissapointed, because he was an amazing drummer, well with Shannon Lucas now as TBDM's drum man, I have no worries, this man is incredibly solid, and his drum sound is fantastic. He plays some amazing grooves and of course, the machine gun double bass! Trevor Strnad uses a variety of vocal types. From the higher shrieks seen in black metal, to the low Growls seen in Death Metal, he covers his bases well. The demonic voice of Trevor fuels the record to even higher status' of heavy, fantastic performances.

If you are one of those people who love the gore aspect of some death metal acts, you shouldn't be far from home. Besides the gore there are some very interesting horror elements that remind me of Horror masterminds such as H.P. Lovecraft, lyrics that aren't focused on the gore necessarily, but have a great Horror story feel to them, Overall there dark, evil, and just plain awesome.

Fantastic all around, nary a flaw, it's a brutal album that all Black Dahlia Murder fans should enjoy. Fast, Heavy, and ever so Merciless, Black Dahlia Prove with this album that they are a force of metal to be reckoned with, if you like there previous releases "Unhallowed" or "Miasma" you will enjoy this album. Or if you just like heavy music and haven't heard TBDM, here is a good record to buy. Go out, buy it, listen to, and headbang till your head falls off!

Zao_89
    YourMessiah666
    TBDM hell yes!!! I'm definitely getting this record! Their old stuff was sweet, sounds like this will be even sweeter! Nice review!!
    DeathMetalDrum
    Nocturnal was absolutely incredible. Each and every song is unique on its own, Shannon Lucas owns face with the drums, and Brian, John, and Bart give an insane amount of rythym in an overall fantastic album. And of course, who can forgot Trevor Strnad's incredible vocals? Amazing. THIS IS METAL.
    CthulhuKaamos
    On par with Unhallowed and shit ALL OVER Miasma, which was a fairly poor follow up to Unhallowed. This album destroys!
    Frozenfire3D
    Somehow i feel that the drums didnt do as well as the previous few albums. There's alot of blasting. . . Like continuous blasting. And it's being used too many times i guess. It would be great if they innovated something new. . . Or used some interesting drum beats, even though there are a few of them in Nocturnal. . . But that's all in my opinion though. . . And also the guitars don't sound as great as in the songs Miasma or Closed Casket Requiem. . . Still, i think it's a fairly good album. . .
    rockonmetal83
    Zao_89 : This is their worst cd imo. The dongs didnt pull me in as much as the other records.
    yeah, theyre riffs dont pull you in right away but i think all their songs were composed better.
    TooFast
    An album that really grows on you I must say. I didn't like it amazingly until I saw them live on this tour, and went home and realized how good it really was.