Nocturnal review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
The Black Dahlia Murder: Nocturnal

If you have heard the black dahlia murder sound, then this CD doesn't offer much new things as compared to their previous work. If you haven't heard the black dahlia murder yet, then check it out if you like At The Gates. Nocturnal starts out with a full song, unlike their previous two works that had an intro. The sound is much more mature than miasma, and more interesting to listen to than unhallowed. However, the overall speed decreased, creating a much darker atmosphere, even though BDM guitarists haven't learned any new scales since unhallowed. Nocturnal is pretty much unhallowed with more interesting guitar riffs, refined vocals, and darker overall vibe. I was a little dissapointed with this CD just because when miasma came out it brought a whole new atmosphere to BDM, but nocturnal steers further towards unhallowed. The biggest problem with this album is that nothing really changed about the band.

The lyrics are dark and rather interesting to read together with the music playing. Obviously, it is all about "necromantic sin" and "drinking the blood from the child's broken neck". However, the last song on the CD brings a hint of satanism to the mix, which was a little interesting. The singer sounds much more refined than in the previous cd, and by that I mean that it is possible to understand what he's saying. the problem is that I can't stop thinking about slaughter of soul whenever I listen to him.

Black Dahlia Murder awoke the melodic death metal scene with unhallowed, but there are not many improvements in this CD besides more solid guitar work. If you are a fan, buy this CD. if you are on the edge, download "Everything Went Black", "I Worship Only What You Bleed", "deathmask Divine", or "Warborn". Overall, this is Unhallowed repackaged with new guitar riffs.

Funeral Moon
    After listening to Nocturnal, I really like it. The blend of Melodic Death Style, I.E. Slaughter of the Soul, and hints of metalcore is really nice. Good job Black Dahlia.
    GREENWARRI0R
    Im still enjoying this album the way I did when I first got it, listening to it straight through a bunch of times a day. My Favorite track is Nocturnal.
    Funeral Moon
    I disagree that they sound like CC, They are more melodic. But that doesn't mean BDM or CC suck, I love both freaking bands. And my favorite tracks of Nocturnal right now would be Everything went Black, What a Horrible Night..., and Deathmask Divine, just gotta love that chorus.
    DiamondOfBlood
    Yeah, the riffs just arent catchy for me and I really dont prefer the black metal-esque vocals trevor picked up..i dont understnad how this relates to unhallowed..that album is definatley there best..I have listend to it enough to let it "sink in: but it hasnt hooked me yet...we'll see...