Nocturnal review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
The Black Dahlia Murder: Nocturnal

The Black Dahlia Murder has never ceased to impress. For lack of a better word to describe each part of the music on the this album, it's just straight up intelligent. I've never heard a band that can tell a story like BDM. The guitar parts are an original twist on the dark harmonized and tremolo music that comes from Europe, and they add an almost hardcore element to there unrelenting speed. The Vocals use a wide range of screams and an unusual pronunciation of words to really make you feel your in the music. Their new drummer, former All that Remains drummer, Shannon Lucas is unbelievably talented and manages to break away from the typical all blasting and double bass drums of death metal. He takes the said blasting and double bass and puts it to brilliant beats making the music more epic and deep than most death metal Bands. The product of all these elements is a dark, twisted, methodical, epic master piece.

As in past albums, Trevor Strnard has once again managed to redefine death metal lyrics. He tells a story so well you almost cringe while your reading the lyrics. They decided to make this album along the lines of traditional death metal lyrics (death, horror, demons) but didn't sacrifice their intelligence in doing so. This album is basically a concept album. Each song's lyrics make story and each song helps you used stand the last and makes you want to know more. He's not afraid to use perversion to describe a situation and does so frequently. He still uses a higher vocabulary managing to paint a picture with words. The song themes are defined by the twisted workings of these lyrics, they almost seem to be an instrument. Trevor pronounces things quite clearly and says words a certain way to make you understand what image he wants you to see. Even if he wasn't saying anything you still know what's happening just by the way he screams. If theirs a way to make the vocals better I wouldn't know how.

This album is pretty much in it's of own league. The only albums I would even consider comparing it to are The Black Dahlia Murder's earlier album's like Miasma and Unhallowed. It's very difficult to say what the best songs on the album are because each song has it's own tone in yet never strays from the overall feeling of the album. Some songs you'll utterly love the first time you hear it. Songs like Deathmask Divine, Nocturnal, What a Horrible Night to have a Curse, and Everything Went Black are such examples. Where as songs like Climactic Degredation, Warborn, To a Breathless Oblivion, and Virally Yours that may take a few listens to full appreciate (not to say you wont like it at first). The best part about this album is well the whole album. This album is a breath of fresh air from the already over saturated deathcore/death metal scene. The only downfall is that this album ends. And to answer this last little bullet point (if it were stolen/lost, would you buy it again or get something else). Hell yes I would buy it again! I almost bought it twice just in case I lost a copy. I highly recommend this album to anyone who even remotely has a respect for death metal.