Nocturnal review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
The Black Dahlia Murder: Nocturnal

After TBDM's last album Miasma great things were expected of Nocturnal. And they do not disappoint. The album is filled with searing guitars, relentless drumming and rumbling bass fills. The guitars somehow manage to be crushingly heavy yet beautifully melodic at the same time (in an non Emo way. With a cross between death metal style riffs and stereotypical Metalcore riffs merging somewhere in the middle. When I heard that the new drummer on this album was to be ex-All That Remains drummer Shannon Lucas I must admit that I was a little bit skeptical to begin with of whether or not he would be up to standard. But I was pleasantly surprised. Although TBDM can neither be classed entirely as a Death Metal or a Metalcore band they are never going to break any major boundaries. But if your looking for something that you can listen to over and over again with out get bored or just something to chill out to then this is the album for you.

I absolutely love the lyrics to this album. Imagine typical Death Metal lyrics combined with Cradle Of Filth style intelligence. As every song is full of brilliant quotes. Those who are in search of some good old gore and horror will be extremely happy as there are songs about everything from the apocalypse to necrophilia. Brian Eshbach despite looking like he should be in Weezer has to be one of the most talented vocalists out there at the minute. He exceeds at every type of scream from high pitched almost black metal style shrieks to evil sounding death grunts and even mid range screams. He also seems to be able to switch be able switch between them with extreme ease. Talented bastard.

Nocturnal is the next logical step on from Miasma. There are no major changes in sound or style yet the album seems to come together better as a hole, more so than previous efforts. There are too many stand out tracks on the album to talk about them all. Such as Everything Went Black, What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse and Warborn. But one of the best has to be Deathmask Divine which has a chorus that will stick in your head even though it's rather heavy. This would be one of the few albums I would definitely go out and re buy straight away in fact I would buy it for my friends while I was at it.

Billy Picken
    I really enjoy this album every time I spin it. I still like Unhollowed the best, but all TBDM albums are a great listen for me. Looking forward to their future works as well. \m/
    HeavyDT
    i cant get over this cd its a classic if you ask me, I thought theirt last two cds were alright but this one is great one of 6the few cds i can pop in and listen to from start to finish and not hear i song that i dont like.
    Demon Seraph
    At the gates isnt much like BDM at all. I lurve both band tho also...SLAUGHTER OF THE SOUL!!!!!