Nocturnal review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
The Black Dahlia Murder: Nocturnal

I discovered this band completely on accident. There was a chick at school who was totally scene (poser, I know) and she would wear like black dahlia murder and suicide silence shirts. She seemed pretty cool so I checked both of them out. At first I hated both of them with a passion (I still don't like suicide silence) and the song that made me hate BDM was their cover of the rolling stone's paint it black. I talked so much shit about them to my friends and never thought of them again until I heard some songs on their myspace. I was instantly blown away, and went out the next day to buy this CD. Needless to say, it's one of my all time favorite albums. As for their sound: it's amazing. It takes the fire of old school metal acts, darkens it with a little bit of black metal, and modernizes it.

The lyrics themselves are typical death metal: violence, fantasy, and just vivid story telling. The lyrics at times can be pretty weak and uninteresting. If they didn't have the vocalist they do, this section would be rated much lower, maybe a 6 or 7. Fortunately, they have Trevor Strnad on vocals which would make even the jonas brothers listenable. He usually uses a high screaming voice, not typical of most death metal, but at times has a very low, standard death metal voice, and he blends the two seamlessly. Behind Axl Rose, he is my favorite all time vocalist.

This is definitely BDM's finest hour (until they make another album) because they took all the things that made their last albums good and intensified them. The best songs in my opinion are "What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse", "Everything Went Black" and "I Worship Only What You Bleed". They are one of my favorite all time bands and hopefully will go on to make bigger and better things. My only complaint about them is that at times the songs sound somewhat similar, but that adds consistency so I'm not going to dwell on that. It would be hard to steal this from me since I don't have the CD copy anymore (my friend's cat got a hold of it and... Lets just say his claws are sharp) but if I burned it and it was stolen I would hunt the grab ass down and steal it back, then tear his own arms out of their sockets and beat him with them, then re-burn the CD because he probably got his fingers on the bottom of it.

kaizerkhan13
    ASStrostiffy666
    kaizerkhan13 wrote: i love tbdm. im so stoked the have a better guitarist now...i idolized brian but i slowly realized he used the same scale....over and over again. ryan knight is a beast, the new album will be epic.
    You mean you idolized John? John's the one that left :/ Oh well, great album IMO :]