Unhallowed review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: Jun 17, 2003
The Black Dahlia Murder: Unhallowed

The sound of this album is nothing short of explosive, when the intro 1st track fades out and goes into the second track, the actual beginning of the cd, Funeral Thirst the band just fills the air with heavy breaks, technical guitar riffs, tight, clean, legit metal. This whole album is really fast-paced, speedy, high energy music. This whole disc, from the lyrics that I've read, is just one huge nightmare with twists and turns and medievil tales of salvation and things of that nature. the singer really gets into some detail of warriors and such. The whole sound of the album, guitars, drums, bass, vox, altogether make one powerhouse of a sound. The only downside is that listening to the whole album, you think you're almost listening to one song the whole way through. sort of sounds the same. but it doesn't mean that the sound is bad.

You have to sort of be into black metal type lyrics to be into these lyrics, although, even with the nice scream he has going for him, the singer isn't too clear, but the lyrics are alot with warriors and forefathers, and well. to be honest with you killing people. It's the type of stuff I put in before my hockey games or even to get revved up for a show I'm playing. The singer actually has a good voice in my opinion. I like the high and lows he does and the mids are just as good. He doesn't clog the music up by singing all of the time, they allow guitar solos, unlike most of todays metal bands, so he's willing to back off for a little while which I also like. gives you a chance to really hear the music. All in all the guys good. I suppose his writing could be a bit more contemperary though.

I would pretty easily compare this album to others that they've done, it's not any different from the other stuff they did, which is good because the other stuff is great, it's just new good stuff. not much has changed. I actually bought this album after hearing the second song, Funeral Thirst, great guitar work. really nice solo. just an overall good feel to the song. One thing that I wish BDM would do some more of is some really slow breakdowns, they have a brutal sound but they can't seem to slow it down, they'd have some sick breaks if they'd throw em in. I'd probably buy this cd again if it came down to it.

a7xfretshredder
    I saw these guys along with Into The Moat, BTBAM, and Cephalic Carnage last October and must I say it was nothing short of Amazing!!!!
    ZoSo_guy
    **** yeah bitch ****in black ****in dahlia ****in murder ****in owns ****in bitch, i ****in saw them last ****in august, ****in sick shit way
    BlackDahliaMrdr
    yeah last year these guys were incredible make sure you pick up ozzfest tickets this year and check them out along with some other great bands.