Unhallowed review by The Black Dahlia Murder

• Released: Jun 17, 2003
The Black Dahlia Murder: Unhallowed

The sound of this album has a very strong metal feel with a subtle doom feel to it, but nothing close to what I would call doom metal. The solos are clean and good enough to impress listeners. In my mind this is what metal today should sound like. Fast, brutal, technical. I've picked up some of these songs on guitar and they're fun to play and just challenging enough to keep you concetrated. There is somewhat of a storyline I feel along with this album. Something to do with a man dying, and coming back alive which is really brutal for the listener to follow along with. It's enough to keep your attention.

The singer of this band, is excellent in my mind. His highs and lows and everything in between really blend with the music. Bring everything together in the end which makes for a great overall sound in the end. The lyrics go right along with the music, with mentioning of death, rebirth, creatures, corpses, revenge, etc. I think they match the music and sound of the band perfectly. The lyrical stories in the songs are really extensive and I like that alot. I actually took the time to read through a couple of the lyrics and see what the band was trying to get across and it's really some brutal stuff. Very imaginative.

The Black Dahlia Murder are a band that I compare bands like slayer, in that they come out with great stuff and never really change their sound so much that it sounds like a different band when you change albums. I think some of the impressive songs on the album are ones like Hymn For the Wretched, Funeral Thirst and When The Last Grave has Emptied. I really just love the riffs that the guitar players through onto this disc and how melodic everything can be. With really fast blast beats, and sometimes unclear parts of the songs, it sounds really great when everything is brought to a moment of clarity and everything just fits together with a harmonized lead part, or a solo. Great album from a great band.